The first temple built by the Church in modern times. The Saints built it in Kirtland, according to the Lord’s command (D&C 94:3–9). One purpose was to provide a place where worthy Church members could receive spiritual power, authority, and enlightenment (D&C 109–110). It was dedicated on March 27, 1836; the dedicatory prayer was given to the Prophet Joseph Smith by revelation (D&C 109). The Lord gave several important revelations and restored needed priesthood keys in this temple (D&C 110; 137). It was not used for the full temple ordinances given in temples today.