Doctrine and Covenants Historical Resources: Henry G. Sherwood, Doctrine and Covenants Historical Resources (2021)
Henry G. Sherwood, Doctrine and Covenants Historical Resources (2021)
Henry G. Sherwood was born in Kingsbury, New York, in 1785. He married Jane J. McManagal (also spelled McMangle) around 1824. Sherwood was baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by August 1832, when he was ordained an elder. Roughly two years later, he moved to Kirtland, Ohio, where he served on the high council. He was remarried to Marcia Abbott around 1835. The following year, Sherwood served a mission to Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee. He was also a stockholder in the Kirtland Safety Society. In 1839 he helped supervise the removal of Latter-day Saints from Missouri. That same year, he relocated to Commerce, Illinois, which was later renamed Nauvoo, where he was a member of the Nauvoo high council. He was also appointed by the Nauvoo high council to supervise the sale of town lots in Commerce. In January 1841, a revelation instructed him to buy stock for the building of the Nauvoo House (Doctrine and Covenants 124:81). In 1847 he migrated to the Salt Lake Valley, in Utah Territory. In 1852 he served a colonizing mission to San Bernardino, California. He returned to Utah Territory in 1855 and became disaffected with the Church shortly thereafter.
References in the Doctrine and Covenants