Restoration and Church History
Doctrine and Covenants Historical Resources: George Miller

Doctrine and Covenants Historical Resources: George Miller, Doctrine and Covenants Historical Resources (2021)

George Miller, Doctrine and Covenants Historical Resources (2021)

George Miller

(1794–1856)

George Miller

George Miller, photograph of a crayon portrait, Church History Library, PH 1700 3076.

George Miller was born near Stanardsville, Virginia. He married Mary C. Fry in 1822 and was baptized into The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by John Taylor in 1839. In 1840, he moved to Commerce, Illinois, which was later renamed Nauvoo, where he was ordained a high priest by Joseph Smith, Hyrum Smith, and Newel Knight. In Nauvoo, he was a trustee and president of the Nauvoo House Association (Doctrine and Covenants 124:62, 70). In 1841, he was appointed bishop. Miller also became president of the high priests and was admitted to the Council of Fifty. In the early 1840s, Miller served missions to Iowa Territory and Illinois, to Kentucky, to pineries in Wisconsin Territory to procure lumber for the Nauvoo Temple and Nauvoo House, and again to Kentucky to campaign for Joseph Smith as president of the United States. Miller was one of three trustees-in-trust for the Church following Joseph Smith’s death in 1844. Later that year, he was appointed “second bishop” under Newel K. Whitney. Miller briefly associated with the group of Latter-day Saints whom Lyman Wight led to Texas in 1848, after which Miller was excommunicated and eventually joined James J. Strang’s Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

References in the Doctrine and Covenants

Doctrine and Covenants 124