“The Church in Canada—Alberta,” New Era, June 2009, 39
Latter-day Saint railway crews from Utah first became familiar with Alberta when laying track for the Canadian Pacific Railway as early as 1883. In 1886, a church leader from Utah explored southern Alberta, looking for a suitable place to colonize. In 1887, he left with a small advance party and started a settlement that later became Cardston, where a ward was organized the next year.
The Alberta Stake was created in 1895, the Taylor Stake in 1903, and the Lethbridge Stake in 1921. By 1914, more than 10,000 Latter-day Saints lived in the vicinity. In 1913, ground was broken in Cardston for the Alberta Temple, which was dedicated in 1923. A second temple, the Edmonton Alberta Temple, was dedicated in December of 1999.
Here are a few facts about the Church today in Alberta:
Wards and Branches
Family History Centers