“Hong Kong,” Liahona, Jan. 2010, 10
China was dedicated for the preaching of the gospel on January 9, 1921, in Beijing by then Elder David O. McKay (1873–1970) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. However, missionary work was limited to the city of Hong Kong. In 1949 Elder Matthew Cowley (1897–1953) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles opened the mission with a prayer from Victoria Peak—the highest point overlooking the city.
The Chinese translation of the Book of Mormon was finished in 1965, followed by the Doctrine and Covenants in 1974. The Hong Kong China Temple was the first temple in the world built as a multiuse structure. The building also contains a chapel, mission offices, and the temple president’s home.
When Hong Kong returned to Chinese control from British control in 1997, the Hong Kong Mission became the China Hong Kong Mission.
By the Numbers
Members in Hong Kong
Wards and Branches