1986
Contents
Footnotes
Theme

“Contents,” Ensign, July 1986, 1

Ensign

July 1986

Volume 16 Number 7

On the front cover: The Deuel log cabin—a historic 1847 Mormon pioneer log cabin recently restored and furnished by the Museum of Church History and Art. (Photography by Marty Mayo.)

On the back cover: Stove, iron, wooden doll, and quilt are among the cabin’s furnishings. Volunteers portray pioneer characters, including a wagoneer (lower left) and a breadmaker (upper right). At top, a child models some of the clothing in the home. (Photography by Marty Mayo.)

Inside front cover: Handcart Pioneers, by Minerva Teichert, 68″ by 51″, oil on canvas. Courtesy of Museum of Church History and Art.

Between 1856 and 1860, nearly three thousand Latter-day Saints came to the Salt Lake Valley in handcarts—a method of travel claimed to be faster, cheaper, and easier than oxcarts. With the exception of the Martin and Willie companies, which started too late in the year and were trapped in Wyoming snows, the system was generally successful.

Inside back cover: Resting Place, by Glen S. Hopkinson, 24″ by 48″, oil, 1984. Courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. Robert D. Olson.

Around 1900 several Latter-day Saint wagon companies settled the area near what is now Byron and Lovell, Wyoming. This scene depicts the members of one company watering their stock at the end of a day. This “resting place” lies on the South Fork of the Shoshone River, halfway between Jackson Hole and Cody, Wyoming.