Celebrate Christ’s birth by lighting the world in 25 ways for 25 days!
Jesus Christ is the Light of the World. When we let our own light so shine by serving others, we help others feel Christ’s light and love (see Matthew 5:16). Christ served others in many different ways, and so can you! Each week we will post ways for you to serve others as Christ would. Celebrate Christ’s birth by lighting the world by serving in 25 ways for 25 days! You can share your experiences, testimony, and other messages on social media using #LightTheWorld.
December 19: I will help calm the storm.
Jesus calmed the storm and so can you
See Mark 4:37–40
Jesus understood that life’s storms can take many shapes. Some storms rain down from the sky; other tempests come from within. Both can be calmed by the Master. When we follow His example, we can be a light in the life of those going through turbulent times.
- Learn ways you can help people around the world.
- Help shovel out your neighborhood after a snowstorm.
- For neighbor gifts this Christmas, give out low-cost emergency items.
December 20: I will see potential in others.
Jesus saw potential in others and so can you
See Mark 1:17
The world saw fishermen. Jesus Christ saw Apostles. As we try to see the people around us the way Christ sees them, we can help them realize their potential.
- Be a mentor or tutor to someone.
- Learn about our divine potential.
- Cheer someone on! Attend an event (athletic, cultural, etc.) to support someone you know.
- Help a child learn to set goals.
- Volunteer to contribute your abilities to an adult education class in your area.
December 21: I will forgive others.
Jesus taught us to forgive others
See Matthew 18:21–22
Jesus Christ showed compassion for those who loved Him—and even for those who didn’t. On the cross, Jesus asked His Father to forgive those who crucified Him. We too can bring light into the world as we follow His example in forgiving others.
- Is there a family member you haven’t talked to lately? Give them a call.
- Make a list of your grudges. Then make plans to let them go.
- Share this inspiring video about forgiving the seemingly unforgivable: My Burden Was Made Light.
December 22: I will show gratitude.
Jesus showed gratitude and so can you
See Luke 10:21
During the Last Supper, Jesus Christ told the Twelve Apostles they weren’t just His disciples—they were His friends. Think about how those words must have made them feel, and remember that we too have the power to raise spirits as we show gratitude to others.
- Start a notebook to record things you are grateful for each day.
- Make a vow of no complaining for one day. For each time you break the vow, you have to pay a compliment to someone.
- Read about ways to show gratitude.
- Offer a prayer of pure gratitude. No requests. Just thanks.
December 23: I will be a peacemaker.
Jesus was a peacemaker and you can be one too
See Matthew 5:9
During the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus Christ taught that it is the peacemakers who are called the children of God. We can earn that blessed title when we reach out to others in the spirit of forgiveness, reconciliation, and resolution.
- Do you owe anyone an apology? Resolve to take action.
- Say nice things behind people’s backs today.
- Read John 14:27 to learn how to better enjoy the peace of the Savior.
- Bring more peace into your life with some calming music.
December 24: I will care for my loved ones.
Jesus cared for His loved ones and so can you
See John 11:5–6
Some of the most touching moments of Jesus Christ’s ministry involved His family and close friends. This Christmas, we can honor the birth of Jesus Christ by following His loving example of serving those who matter most in our lives.
- Plan a special Christmas Eve program with your family and friends.
- Leave an anonymous gift for a family member.
- Take a moment to enter all of your friends’ birthdays into your mobile device.
- Think about all the ways the Christmas story is a family story.
December 25: I will follow Him.
Jesus’s disciples followed Him and so can we
See Luke 9:23
When the Savior was born, a new light appeared in the heavens. He is the Light of the World—not just on Christmas Day, but every day. Follow Him, and never walk in darkness again.
- Turn some of the 25 days ideas from this month into new year’s resolutions.
- Find a picture of Jesus Christ that inspires you and place it in your home where it can serve as a reminder.
Share your experience
How did you light the world this week? Share your experience below.