“New Area Leadership Assignments,” Ensign, Aug. 2004, 76–77
The First Presidency has announced changes in assignments for area leadership. The changes are effective beginning 15 August 2004.
Elder Dallin H. Oaks and Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles have completed assignments as Presidents of the Philippines and Chile Areas respectively. Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles will serve as President of the Europe Central Area.
Areas in the United States and Canada will now be supervised by the Presidency of the Seventy, under the direction of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. While the entire Presidency is responsible for overseeing the work in the 11 affected areas, each member of the Presidency has been assigned specific areas.
All members of Area Presidencies belong to the First or Second Quorum of the Seventy unless otherwise noted.
Presidency of the Seventy: Earl C. Tingey: 1. North America East, 2. North America Northeast; D. Todd Christofferson: 3. North America Southeast; David E. Sorensen: 4. North America Northwest, 5. North America West; Charles Didier: 6. North America Southwest; Dieter F. Uchtdorf: 7. North America Central; Merrill J. Bateman: 8. Utah North, 9. Utah Salt Lake City, 10. Utah South; John H. Groberg: 11. Idaho
12. Mexico North: Robert J. Whetten, President; Ned B. Roueché, First Counselor; Jorge A. Rojas*, Second Counselor
13. Mexico South: Craig C. Christensen, President; Clate W. Mask Jr., First Counselor; Benjamin De Hoyos*, Second Counselor
14. Central America: Spencer V. Jones, President; W. Douglas Shumway, First Counselor; E. Israel Pérez*, Second Counselor
15. South America North: Claudio R. M. Costa, President; Walter F. González, First Counselor; Roberto García*, Second Counselor
16. South America West: Carlos H. Amado, President; James M. Dunn, First Counselor; Willy F. Zuzunaga*, Second Counselor
17. Brazil North: Robert R. Steuer, President; Mervyn B. Arnold, First Counselor; Pedro J. Penha*, Second Counselor
18. Brazil South: Neil L. Andersen, President; Adhemar Damiani, First Counselor; Paulo R. Grahl*, Second Counselor
19. Chile: Francisco J. Viñas, President; Carl B. Pratt, First Counselor; Oscar W. Chavez*, Second Counselor
20. South America South: L. Whitney Clayton, President; Lynn G. Robbins, First Counselor; Carlos E. Agüero*, Second Counselor
21. Europe West: Harold G. Hillam, President; Gerald N. Lund, First Counselor; David S. Baxter*, Second Counselor
22. Europe Central: L. Tom Perry**, President; Bruce C. Hafen, First Counselor; W. Craig Zwick, Second Counselor
23. Europe East: Dennis B. Neuenschwander, President; Robert F. Orton, First Counselor; Wayne S. Peterson, Second Counselor
24. Africa West: Sheldon F. Child, President; H. Ross Workman, First Counselor; R. Conrad Schultz, Second Counselor
25. Africa Southeast: Steven E. Snow, President; Christoffel Golden Jr., First Counselor; William W. Parmley, Second Counselor
26. Asia: John B. Dickson, President; Daryl H. Garn, First Counselor; D. Allen Andersen*, Second Counselor
27. Asia North: Yoshihiko Kikuchi, President; William R. Walker, First Counselor; Won Yong Ko*, Second Counselor
28. Philippines: Richard J. Maynes, President; D. Rex Gerratt, First Counselor; David R. Stone, Second Counselor
29. Australia/New Zealand: Kenneth Johnson, President; John M. Madsen, First Counselor; Lindsay T. Dil*, Second Counselor
30. Pacific Islands: Robert K. Dellenbach, President; Dennis E. Simmons, First Counselor; Spencer J. Condie, Second Counselor