Contents
    Footnotes

    “Contents,” Ensign, Aug. 1985, 1

    Ensign

    August 1985

    Volume 15 Number 8

    On the cover: Photography by Don L. Searle. Cover photo: Mountains south of Colonia Juarez where the old LDS mountain colonies were located. Inset photos: (front) Colonia Dublan First Ward chapel; (back) Juarez Stake Academy.

    Inside front cover: Little Cottonwood Quarry, by A.D. Shaw, 36″ by 48″, oil, 1984. Courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Bucher.

    Workers began quarrying granite for the Salt Lake Temple in 1860. Stones found in the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon were cut, then hauled to the temple site in wagons—a three- to four-day round trip. A canal was started several years later so stones could be floated to the valley on barges, but with the coming of the railroad in 1872, the attempt was abandoned.

    Inside back cover: Blessing of Children, by Del Parson, 24″ by 24″, oil on canvas, 1979.

    The Prophet Joseph Smith received various instructions concerning Church government and organization. One of the ordinances revealed was the blessing of children: “Every member of the church of Christ having children is to bring them unto the eiders before the church, who are to lay their hands upon them in the name of Jesus Christ, and bless them in his name.” (D&C 20:70.)