Men and women with a wide range of talents and abilities may choose to contribute to the divine work of the Lord by serving at a Church welfare facility as a service missionary.
Who may serve?
- Worthy single men ages 18-25 and worthy single women ages 19-25 who have been honorably excused from serving a full-time proselytizing mission for health reasons or other considerations are eligible.
- A young full-time missionary who has returned home involuntarily due to accident, illness, or other similar conditions is eligible to serve as a service missionary to complete their missionary service.
How long is a welfare service missionary called to serve?
- Service missionaries serve as close to full-time as their capabilities and situations allow and usually serve for 18-24 months, although shorter terms are possible. It is important to explore available welfare opportunities, as some assignments may require particular skills, abilities, or aptitudes.
Are there mission rules to follow?
- Mission rules are similar to those for full-time proselyting missionaries.
- Each service missionary is expected to follow the standards of the welfare facility where they are called to serve.
- Daily dress will depend on the type of service provided, but on Sundays, missionaries wear Sunday dress and their missionary name badges.
What makes this mission experience unique?
- A service missionary usually lives at home, provides their own transportation, and pays their own living, medical, and other expenses.
- Senior welfare missionary couples are there to help guide the younger missionaries in gospel study, in leadership classes, in enrichment activities, and in their welfare assignments.
- The blessings that come from serving at a welfare facility are amazing!
“Have you noticed that such individuals have a brighter smile? Their footsteps are more certain. There is an aura of contentment and satisfaction—even dedication—for one cannot participate in helping others without experiencing a rich blessing himself” (Thomas S. Monson, “Rotary International Message,” Little America Hotel, Nov. 20, 1997).
Service Missionaries: Something Everyone Can Contribute
Service Missionaries: Welfare Square