“The First Coming and the Second Coming of Jesus Christ,” New Era, December 2016
Over 2,000 years ago. The exact year and day are uncertain.
Nobody knows except the Father, not even the angels (see Matthew 24:36 and D&C 49:7).
In a remote, humble stable in Bethlehem (see Luke 2:4).
“In the clouds of heaven with power and great glory” (Matthew 24:30; see also Acts 1:11).
Who witnesses it
Shepherds, Anna, Simeon, wise men (see Luke 2:15–18; 25–38; Matthew 2:1–12).
All people everywhere at once (see Isaiah 40:5; Revelation 1:7).
A star in the heavens, a birth to a virgin, a prophesied lineage and birthplace for the Messiah (see Matthew 2:2; Isaiah 7:14; Micah 5:2.
Apostasy and Restoration, gospel preached throughout the earth, tumultuous times, signs in heaven and on earth (see 2 Thessalonians 2:2–3; Matthew 24:6–21, 29–31.
How to prepare
• Receive “ordinances … that [you] might look forward on the Son of God” (Alma 13:16).
• Be “just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel [with] the Holy Ghost … upon [you]” (Luke 2:25).
• “[Serve] God with fastings and prayers” (Luke 2:37).
• “Hearken unto the words of the prophets [and] look forward unto Christ with steadfastness for the signs which are given” (2 Nephi 26:8).
• “[Be baptized,] receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, and … be looking forth for the signs of [His] coming” (D&C 39:23; see also 45:39).
• “Stand ye in holy places, and be not moved” (D&C 87:8).
• “[Be] wise and [receive] the truth, and [take] the Holy Spirit for [your] guide, and [be not] deceived” (D&C 45:57).
• “Hear the voice of the Lord [and] the voice of his servants [and] give heed to the words of the prophets” (D&C 1:14).