Church History
Hong Kong: Chronology


“Hong Kong: Chronology,” Global Histories: Hong Kong (2021)

“Hong Kong: Chronology,” Global Histories: Hong Kong

Hong Kong: Chronology

April 1853 • Hong Kong

Hosea Stout, James Lewis, and Chapman Duncan arrived in Hong Kong as missionaries but were unsuccessful and returned home after a few weeks.

July 10, 1949 • Kowloon, Hong Kong

A Chinese Mission was established with Hilton A. Robertson as president.

1945–49

Due to civil war in China, millions of refugees fleeing conflict crossed the border into Hong Kong. The stream of immigrants continued into the 1950s.

February 25, 1950 • Hong Kong

Missionaries H. Grant Heaton 席德恩 and William Pa’alani 白乃利 arrived.

December 31, 1950 • Hong Kong

Three sisters, Koot Siu Yuen (Nora) 葛肇媛, Koot Siu Foon (Beatrice) 葛肇歡, and Koot Siu Hung (Rose) 葛肇慶, accepted baptism, becoming the first members of the Church in Hong Kong.

January–February 1951 • Hong Kong

Amid rising military tensions due to the Korean War, 15 people received baptism just prior to the evacuation of the missionaries to Hawaii on February 6, 1951, leaving just 18 members in Hong Kong.

1951–53 • Hong Kong, Hawaii, San Francisco

Chinese Mission headquarters were moved to Hawaii and then to San Francisco, where work was conducted among the Chinese American population. Having little success, the mission was eventually suspended.

August 1955 • Hong Kong

H. Grant Heaton and Luana Carter Heaton were called to preside over the newly organized Southern Far East Mission, serving Hong Kong, Taiwan, India, the Philippines, Macau, Singapore, and Guam.

October 23, 1955 • Hong Kong

The North Point Branch was created, the first in Hong Kong. Additional branches were created in Tsim Sha Tsui and Sham Shui Po on November 17.

Image
Hong Kong: First Group

May 31, 1956 • Hong Kong

Dr. Tong Feng Shiu Yu and her children Tong Sheung Yuen and Tong Shuk Sau, as well as Ying Wah Mei, Lam Tat Chew, Lam Hau Chew, Lee Wing Foon, Ng Kat Hing 伍吉慶, Tsao Tsoi Cheung, Alberto C. Estanislao, and Ko Sau Ping were the first new converts baptized after the creation of the Southern Far East Mission.

November 11, 1956 • Hong Kong

Tsao Tsoi Cheung, Lee Nai Ken, Lee Wing Foon, Chang Chi Cheong, and Lam Ping Lin were ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood within the Kowloon Hong Kong District.

June 12, 1956

Mission headquarters moved to a new mission home located at 2 Cornwall Street. The on-site swimming pool was regularly used for baptisms.

February 17, 1957 • Hong Kong

Lee Nai Ken, an early convert, served as a full-time missionary for six months before beginning studies at Brigham Young University.

May 26, 1957 • Hong Kong

Koot Siu Yuen (Nora) 葛肇媛 became the first local female member to serve a full-time mission, eventually serving for over two years in Hong Kong and Taiwan.

September 1957 • Hong Kong

A translation committee of local members was created to translate the Book of Mormon. After two years of work, the project eventually stalled due to financial constraints and was later reassigned to volunteer translators in Taiwan.

May 25, 1958 • Hong Kong

Wang Chih Tsao 王志超 became president of the Tsuen Wan Branch. He was the first local member to serve as branch president in Hong Kong.

March–June 1959 • Hong Kong

Missionaries and local members worked together to build a small meetinghouse at Tiu Keng Leng, the first Church-built meetinghouse in Asia since the 1850s.

April 12, 1964 • Hong Kong

Luk Wing Wah 陸榮華 became the first district president of the Hong Kong District.

October 28, 1964 • Hong Kong

Relief Society members held a bazaar at Kom Tong Hall, attracting around 600 people and earning a total of HKD 5,847—a considerable sum for that time.

December 1965 • Hong Kong

The Book of Mormon was printed in Chinese.

May 1967 • Hong Kong

Serious political riots caused half of the missionaries to be reassigned to other countries.

June 1974 • Hong Kong

The Doctrine and Covenants was published in Chinese.

April 2–3, 1974 • Salt Lake City, Utah

A group of 18 Saints traveled to Salt Lake City and received temple ordinances with linguistic help from President Poon Shiu-Tat (Sheldon) 潘紹達.

April 25, 1976 • Hong Kong

The Hong Kong Stake was created with Poon Shiu-Tat (Sheldon) 潘紹達 as president.

April 1976 • Hong Kong

The Chinese Pearl of Great Price was published.

Image
The Hong Kong Ho Man Tin Chapel

May 1977 • Hong Kong

The construction of the Ho Man Tin meetinghouse, which also served as the Hong Kong stake center, was completed at the intersection of Shek Ku Street and Sheung Shing Street.

July 5, 1977 • Hong Kong

Chan Hok Shun (David H. H. Chen) 陳學信 became the first Chinese man to serve as president of the Hong Kong Mission.

1980 • Hong Kong

Tai Kwok Yuen 戴國源 was called as the first Chinese man to serve as regional representative for Hong Kong and Taiwan.

August 2–4, 1980 • Chitou, Taiwan

Young Women and Young Men organizations from Hong Kong and Taiwan held a three-day youth conference.

1984 • Hong Kong

Wong Chung Hei (Patrick) 黃松熙 was called as the regional representative of the Hong Kong–Taiwan region.

1988 • Hong Kong

Eighty-five local young women and young men became full-time missionaries, making up half of the missionary force in Hong Kong.

June 4, 1989 • Hong Kong

An Asia area conference was held in Hong Kong, with priesthood leaders from Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Taiwan in attendance.

July 1992 • Hong Kong

Church President Gordon B. Hinckley determined the location and unique design of a temple in Hong Kong (see Stories of Faith: “A New Kind of Temple”).

October 1992 • Hong Kong

Tai Kwok Yuen 戴國源 became the first Chinese-born member to serve as a General Authority when he was called to the Second Quorum of the Seventy.

May 26, 1996 • Hong Kong

The completed Hong Kong China Temple was dedicated by Gordon B. Hinckley.

July 1, 1997 • Hong Kong

Governance of Hong Kong reverted from British to Chinese control. Dancers from the Polynesian Cultural Center of BYU–Hawaii participated in a celebration parade.

1998 • Hong Kong

The China Hong Kong International District was created to serve Church members who did not speak Cantonese.

January 12, 2001 • Hong Kong

The Chinese name of the Church changed from 耶穌基督末世聖徒教會 (“Church of Jesus Christ of the Last Days”) to 耶穌基督後期聖徒教會 (“Church of Jesus Christ of the Later Period”), a more accurate translation that avoided the erroneous doomsday connotation of the older version.

August 2, 2005 • Hong Kong

President Gordon B. Hinckley came to Hong Kong to dedicate a new 12-story Church administration building on Gloucester Road in Wan Chai. The building contained chapels, classrooms, recreational facilities, apartments, and the Asia Area Office.

2007–08 • Hong Kong

A revised translation of the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price was published in traditional and simplified Chinese characters.

March 9, 2014 • Hong Kong

In an effort to make the blessings of the temple accessible to members employed as domestic workers, who had demanding work schedules, the Hong Kong temple began operating on some Sundays.