July 1993

“Contents,” Ensign, July 1993, 1


July 1993

Volume 23 Number 7

On the cover: Photography by Welden Andersen.

Inside front cover: Pioneer Life, by Don Ricks, oil on canvas, 30″ x 40″, 1987. Built at the time of the pioneers’ arrival in the Salt Lake Valley in 1847, this small fifteen-by-twenty-foot cabin was used as the residence of pioneers Osmyn and Mary Deuel and Osmyn’s brother Amos from the autumn of 1847 until the following spring. Later the cabin was used briefly as a militia armory. The cabin now stands in the block west of Temple Square.

Inside back cover: Mormon Emigrants, Echo Canyon, by Charles W. Carter. Photo taken circa 1868. Courtesy of Church Archives, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Detail from a photo taken by early Church photographer Charles W. Carter depicts a pioneer wagon train winding its way down Echo Canyon in northern Utah. The progress of the wagons was slowed by beaver dams that backed water onto the trail.