Doctrinal Mastery is an inspired initiative intended to help seminary students follow the Lord’s pattern for discovering truth and finding answers to their questions. Doctrinal Mastery helps students “deepen their understanding of true doctrine, learn associated scripture references, and practice using those verses and the doctrine they teach to apply the gospel and to learn how to think about and answer their questions” (Chad H Webb, “Doctrinal Mastery” [Seminaries and Institutes of Religion satellite broadcast, June 14, 2016]). Doctrinal Mastery builds upon and replaces previous initiatives, such as Scripture Mastery, Basic Doctrines, and Seek Truth.
Doctrinal Mastery and its intended outcomes are more fully explained in the Doctrinal Mastery Core Document.
The following resources help define and clarify the purposes of Doctrinal Mastery:
- Doctrinal Mastery Core Document
- “What is Doctrinal Mastery?” (3:53), medialibrary.lds.org
- “Doctrinal Mastery Overview,” medialibrary.lds.org
- “Introduction to Doctrinal Mastery,” New-Teacher Training Resource [Church Educational System manual, 2018], 101–08.
- Doctrinal Mastery Book of Mormon Teacher Material 
- Kim B. Clark, “Doctrinal Mastery and Deep Learning” (evening with a General Authority, Feb. 17, 2017)
- Chad H. Webb, “Doctrinal Mastery” (Seminaries and Institutes of Religion satellite broadcast, June 14, 2016)
- Kim B. Clark, Bonnie L. Oscarson, Dan Hedlund, Tom Valetta, and Heidi H. Weed, “Panel Discussion for Doctrinal Mastery” (Seminaries and Institutes of Religion satellite broadcast, June 14, 2016)
For additional information, see the Doctrinal Mastery FAQ.