What exactly is a family crest? Think of it as a visual signature that represents your family’s heritage and values. It’s like your very own logo that shows who you are and where you come from. Some groups, like Scottish clans, had family crest badges that were designed centuries ago.1
Here are some tips for creating a new crest for your family today!
- Start with stories. Think about what makes your family special. Talk to your relatives or explore FamilySearch and make a list of your family’s achievements and traditions. What does your family care about?
- Select meaningful symbols. What symbols could represent your family’s adventures and awesomeness? You could include plants, objects, even animals—like a lion for bravery, an owl for wisdom, or a dolphin for playfulness!
- Pick colors that pop. Colors add meaning and bring your crest to life. Pick ones that make you feel excited and happy. Maybe different colors represent different ideas to your family.
- Choose a motto. Try to come up with a short, catchy phrase that captures the essence of your family. You could write it on part of your crest or right beneath the image.
- Polish your masterpiece. It’s time to get artsy! Grab your pencils, markers, or paintbrushes and fill any remaining areas of your crest with whatever patterns and colors you’d like.
Once you’ve created your family crest, be sure to share it! You could hang a picture of it up in your home, paint it on a t-shirt, or add it digitally to FamilySearch.