Help Children Enjoy General Conference Too
Contributed By Camille West, ChurchofJesusChrist.org Church News
The Friend magazine would love to hear what your children liked about the different sessions of conference. Email your child's picture, quote, and permission statement by the night of Sunday, April 2, to friend@ChurchofJesusChrist.org with “Conference Submission” in the subject line.
Parents and teachers can use resources on ChurchofJesusChrist.org to help children have a good conference experience before, during, and after general conference.
The Church provides a variety of conference-related stories and activities to help children prepare for general conference before it begins, listen to and enjoy conference talks, and remember and apply the messages in the coming months.
Prepare for general conference
Help children become more familiar with Church leaders’ faces and stories from their lives. The more children know about a leader, the more interested they will be in what the leaders say during conference.
- Download a PDF chart of the current leaders.
- Read personal stories from the lives of living prophets and apostles.
- Print a set of Special Witness cards.
- Print a set of women leader cards.
Children may enjoy and learn more from watching or listening to general conference if they have activities to keep them engaged.
Listen to and enjoy conference talks
- A downloadable General Conference Notebook for children to write or draw about conference.
- Conference Squares, consisting of seven cards that encourage children to listen carefully and, when a speaker talks about one of the topics on the card, cover that square.
- Coloring pages (download more from the new scripture coloring books). (See related story.)
- Games and activities from the Friend magazine.
- Coloring pages by topic from the Friend magazine.
Remember and apply messages
Following conference, there are many ways parents can help keep the messages from general conference in your family’s minds and hearts throughout the coming months.
- Review conference messages in family home evenings or on the Sabbath using the full text or videos, or this helpful summary of each talk. The Church magazines regularly feature conference messages you can share with your family, such as the Friend’s General Conference Reports for Kids or conference posters in the New Era.
- Display recent conference quotes around the home. “One thing that I love to do is print off beautiful quotes (catch phrases or main points from each talk),” shared Celeste Billman. “I put them in a frame in our living room and change the quotes out regularly. This helps because my husband is not active, but he will answer the questions that our children have about the quotes. It allows us to discuss the talk and the messages and helps us to keep them in our hearts and in our homes.”
Children play a conference bingo while they listen to general conference.