Primary is for children ages 18 months through 11 years. The Primary theme is “All thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children” (3 Nephi 22:13). The purposes of Primary are to help children:
- Feel their Heavenly Father’s love and learn about His plan of happiness.
- Learn about Jesus Christ and His role in Heavenly Father’s plan.
- Learn and live the gospel.
- Feel, recognize, and act on the influence of the Holy Ghost.
- Prepare for, make, and keep sacred covenants.
- Participate in the work of salvation and exaltation.
Parents have the first responsibility for the spiritual and physical welfare of their children (see Doctrine and Covenants 68:25–28). The bishopric, Primary leaders, and Primary teachers support but do not replace parents in this responsibility.
General Handbook: Serving in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 12.1
As you read General Handbook, consider the landmarks (objectives) along the way:
- Does each child feel Heavenly Father’s love for him or her?
- Are the children developing faith in Jesus Christ and His role in Heavenly Father’s plan?
- Are they learning and understanding the gospel?
- Do they know how to recognize and act upon the influence of the Holy Ghost?
- Are they preparing to make and keep sacred covenants?
- Are they participating in simple ways in the work of salvation and exaltation?
Learn more about the purpose and objectives of Primary in General Handbook, 12.1.