Our overarching objective is to help young men become converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ and to live by its teachings (General Handbook: Serving in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 10.1.1). The greatest predictor of spiritual success is for a young man to have personal spiritual experiences in their youth—for them to feel the influence of the Holy Spirit.
Reflect on your own conversion. What experiences were key to you feeling the witness and encouragement of the Holy Ghost? What experiences have helped to deepen your faith?
Create settings where they feel the Holy Ghost.
- Help youth plan activities that provide opportunities to feel the Spirit in various settings.
- Provide frequent opportunities for service and ministering to others.
- Look for and plan opportunities for spontaneous spiritual discussions that connect the gospel with daily life.
- Live so they feel the Spirit and love of God through you.
Emphasize holy habits and righteous routines.
- Daily study of God’s word (the Book of Mormon), personal prayer, and obedience.
- Weekly sabbath observance.
- Regular participation in temple and family history work.
Help them understand and apply the doctrine of Jesus Christ.
- Teach them to listen, study, and ponder the words of the living and scriptural prophets.
- Ensure lessons are taught by the power of the Holy Ghost.
- Help the young men recognize an act on revelation.
- Follow up each week with experiences they had while acting on revelation.
- Give them opportunities to teach.
- Help the young men to know their divine identity and purpose.
Ponder these questions.
- Consider your last activity. How could you have helped make it an experience that drew the young men closer to heaven?
- What could you do to make quorum meetings more spiritually powerful?
- What could you do to create more spontaneous opportunities for gospel learning?
- Russell M. Nelson and Wendy W. Nelson, “Hope of Israel” (worldwide devotional for youth, June 3, 2018), ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- “Leaders Can Help Connect Young Men to Heaven,” Church News, Apr. 26, 2017, ChurchofJesusChrist.org
- David A. Bednar, “Converted unto the Lord,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2012, 106–9.
- “Stay Within the Lines” (5:09)