The Salt Lake Temple, viewed from the northeast. A few days after the first pioneer company of Latter-day Saints entered the Salt Lake Valley, President Brigham Young struck the ground with his walking stick and proclaimed, “Here we will build the temple of our God.” Ground was broken on February 14, 1853. On April 6, 1853, the cornerstones were laid. The temple was completed and dedicated 40 years later on April 6, 1893. The First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles meet here each week to deliberate and seek the direction of the Lord in administering and building the kingdom of God.
Significant Events: The Lord has given the Presidents of the Church and other General Authorities an outpouring of the spirit of revelation here, including Official Declaration 2. More recently, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles unanimously approved and published “The Family: A Proclamation to the World.” Temple ordinances performed for both the living and the dead have blessed the lives of millions.