Church History
Poland: Church Chronology
previous next


Poland: Church Chronology

February 2, 1884 • Vienna, Austria

The first-known Polish convert, Adalbert Cholewa, was baptized a member of the Church in Vienna.

1897 • Stettin, Breslau, and Sorau, German Empire

The Swiss-German Mission established German-speaking branches of the Church in Stettin (now Szczecin), Breslau (Wrocław), and Sorau (Żary).

August 12, 1903 • Warsaw, Poland

Elder Francis M. Lyman of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles dedicated Poland for the preaching of the restored gospel.

April 18, 1923 • Selbongen, East Prussia (later Zełwągi, Poland)

Six people were baptized, and a German-speaking branch was organized.

Image
Poland: Selbongen Chapel

July 14, 1929 • Selbongen

The first Church meetinghouse built in Poland was dedicated.

1939–54 • Europe

Millions of people, including Latter-day Saints, were displaced by World War II and relocated throughout Europe.

July 30–August 7, 1946 • Poland

Ezra Taft Benson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles arranged with officials to provide food, financial assistance, and the safe exodus of German members in Poland.

December 1947 • Zełwągi

The German-speaking branch discontinued services to comply with government regulations requiring all public gatherings to be conducted only in Polish.

December 10, 1950 • Zełwągi

The Zełwągi Branch resumed holding services in Polish.

1961 • Poland

The Church first received official recognition in Poland.

September 16–17, 1967 • Zełwągi

Elder Howard W. Hunter of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles presided over the first conference of the Church conducted entirely in the Polish language.

October 1970 • Zełwągi

Percy Fetzer became the first patriarch to visit Poland and provide patriarchal blessings.

June 27, 1971 • Zełwągi

The Zełwągi Branch was dissolved. All Church activity was temporarily discontinued in Poland.

March 30, 1975 • Szczecin, Poland

Fryderyk Czerwiński held the first Church meeting in Szczecin in his home. Six members attended.

July 7, 1975 • Szczecin

The Szczecin Branch was organized with Fryderyk Czerwiński as president.

1977 • Warsaw

Matthew and Marion Ciembronówicz were assigned as special representatives of the First Presidency in Poland.

May 30, 1977 • Warsaw

The Church was again granted official recognition.

August 24, 1977 • Warsaw

President Spencer W. Kimball rededicated Poland for the preaching of the gospel. Fryderyk Czerwiński was called as presiding elder of the Church in Poland.

April 1978 • Salt Lake City, Utah

The Articles of Faith were published in Polish. This was the first official publication of the Church in Polish.

1979 • Warsaw

A small office was purchased on Nowy Świat Street in Warsaw and converted to a Church information center.

March 1980 • Warsaw

Lona Czerwińska was called as the first Relief Society president of the Warsaw Branch.

March 1982 • Warsaw

In cooperation with the Catholic Episcopate, the Church contributed food and medical supplies for distribution throughout the country.

1982 • Poland

The Book of Mormon and other Church literature were translated into Polish.

May 1986 • Warsaw

The Church received permission to send more missionaries and to build a meetinghouse in Poland.

June 1, 1986 • Warsaw

President Thomas S. Monson of the First Presidency joined with Polish members to offer a prayer of gratitude and supplication.

January 1987 • Warsaw

Polish members participated in a temple seminar in preparation to attend the Freiberg Germany Temple.

January 1988 • Warsaw

The first young missionaries (who had been serving in the Polish-speaking branch in Chicago) arrived in Warsaw.

1989 • Poland

The Polish government passed laws expanding religious freedom and allowing foreigners to direct congregations.

May 2, 1989 • Warsaw

Urszula Adamska accepted a call to serve in the Washington Seattle Mission. She was the first Polish member called from Poland to serve as a missionary overseas.

June 15, 1989 • Warsaw

Ground was broken for the first meetinghouse in Warsaw, with Elder Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles presiding at the ceremony.

April–May 1990 • Salt Lake City

Zdzisława Maria Chudyba and Urszula Adamska traveled to Salt Lake City to translate the temple ceremonies from English to Polish.

July 1, 1990 • Warsaw

Walter L. Whipple Jr. was called as president of the newly created Poland Warsaw Mission.

1991 • Warsaw

Government restrictions on religious proselytizing were eased and missionaries were allowed to freely proselytize.

October 13, 1991 • Łódź, Poland

The first branch of the Church opened by the Poland Warsaw Mission was in Łódź. Robert Tadeusz Żelewski was called as branch president.

May 1991 • Freiberg, Germany

Eleven members participated in the first temple ceremonies conducted in Polish at the temple in Freiberg.

June 22, 1991 • Warsaw

The Warsaw meetinghouse was dedicated by Elder Russell M. Nelson.

September 7, 1995 • Warsaw

The first LDS institute of religion was organized, with Ryszard Chołodowski as instructor.

January 2000 • Warsaw

Douglas F. Tobler, president of the Poland Warsaw Mission, and Robert Żelewski made an official visit to the First Lady of Poland, Madam Jolanta Kwaśniewska, at the Presidential Palace.

October 2001 • Warsaw

The broadcast of general conference included Polish translation for the first time.

May 12, 2002 • Warsaw

The Warsaw Poland District was created, with Robert Żelewski as the first Polish district president.

June 15, 2014 • Warsaw

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf of the First Presidency presided at a conference with members from all over Poland.

Image
Mateusz and Adrienne Turek

July 2016 • Warsaw

Mateusz Turek and his wife, Adrienne, were called to preside over the Poland Warsaw Mission. He is the first Poland native to preside over the mission.