“Temple Spotlight: London England Temple,” Ensign, Dec. 2012, 71
The London England Temple was dedicated by President David O. McKay (1873–1970) in September 1958. The open house was extended three days longer than previously scheduled because of the overwhelming interest in the temple. In all, there were 76,324 visitors to the open house.
The London Temple was the second temple built in Europe, and it is one of two temples in the British Isles today. It sits on 32 acres of property selected by President David O. McKay. It is located in the county of Surrey, the same county where the Magna Carta was signed in 1215.
In 1990 the London England Temple closed for an extensive interior remodeling and was rededicated by President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910–2008) in October 1992. Fifty years after the temple was first dedicated, on December 15, 2008, the angel Moroni was added by helicopter to the 160-foot tall spire.
An excerpt from the rededicatory prayer by President Gordon B. Hinckley follows:
“Our beloved Father, wilt thou bless thy faithful people in this island nation and throughout the world. Smile upon them with favor and open the windows of heaven and shower down blessings upon them as they walk in faithfulness.”1