Begin a Conversation
- Which of your ancestors do you feel most connected with? Why?
- Who’s the oldest relative you remember? What do you remember about him/her?
- What stories do you know about your ancestors?
- What traits do you have in common with your family? Who did those come from?
- Have you visited an ancestor’s homeland? What was it like?
- What do you want to know about your ancestors?
Discover Your Ancestors with These Activities
Share How Family History Benefits You and Your Friends
Why is FamilySearch.org a free service?
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints sponsors this service through the generous donations of its members because families are an important part of God’s plan for all of His children. Through Jesus Christ, we can be reunited with our loved ones after we die. Because of this, FamilySearch is a free resource to help all people learn about their ancestors and feel a connection to them.
I feel something special when I participate in family history. Why?
When we learn more about our family history, we are naturally drawn to our ancestors and feel a connection to them. This feeling of connection is a reminder from God through His Holy Spirit that families are meant to last beyond this life. Additional information about the importance of families is available here.