Historic Nauvoo is a cultural landscape that interprets the headquarters of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints located in Nauvoo, Illinois, from 1839 to 1846. Under the prophetic leadership of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, Latter-day Saints worked together during these years to build a faith-based community and a temple overlooking the Mississippi River. In addition to a Latter-day Saint visitors’ center, Historic Nauvoo includes many historical buildings and landscapes that have been preserved through restoration, rehabilitation, or reconstruction.
The Nauvoo Temple was a focal point in the historic landscape of Nauvoo and in the lives of the Latter-day Saints. Today Historic Nauvoo is open to the public. Visitors enjoy tours and activities in historic homes, shops, and other buildings. The temple has been reconstructed, and the temple grounds are open to the public year-round. Entrance into the temple is limited to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints with current temple recommends. For information about entering the Nauvoo Illinois Temple, click or tap here.
In Nauvoo the Lord revealed truths and practices that continue to guide His Church today. His revelations to the Prophet Joseph Smith included the founding of the Relief Society, the practice of baptism and confirmation for the dead, and temple marriage. The Lord also inspired Joseph to confer priesthood keys on the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, preparing them to lead the Church if Joseph were to die. After Joseph’s death in nearby Carthage, President Brigham Young and other Apostles led the Church.