More “The SafetyZone” Videos Underscoring Missionary Safety Released
Contributed By Scott Taylor, Church News Managing Editor
Additional missionary safety videos have been made public by the Missionary Department of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints after the March 1 announcement of the new “The SafetyZone” series.
The first video—to be seen by all called and assigned full-time missionaries before they enter a missionary training center—was an introductory episode focusing on obedience, awareness, and respect. That episode was available for public viewing at the time of the announcement.
- “Serving in Safety”—understanding safe principles for traveling and preparation day as well as nutrition and hygiene.
- “Carbon Monoxide Safety”—knowing the dangers of carbon monoxide and how to reduce them as well as the importance of carbon monoxide detectors and how to respond to alarms.
- “Electrical Safety”—knowing the dangers of electricity and electrical cables as well as being safe during service projects.
- “Automobile Safety”—being safe while driving a vehicle.
- “Bicycle Safety”—being safe while riding bicycles.
- “Pedestrian Safety”—being safe while walking.
- “Diet, Hygiene, Exercise”—understanding the importance of eating healthy and nutritious food, staying clean, and exercising.
- “Courtesy”—understanding the importance of courtesy and culturally appropriate actions as well as proper behavior and clothing.
- “Preparation Day Safety”—participating in safe, appropriate activities on preparation day.
“The safety of the missionaries is our prime interest and desire,“ said Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, who chairs the Church’s Missionary Executive Council, about the March 1 announcement.
“The videos are focused on helping the missionaries with a lot of common sense and practical tips—to be safe in their missions and to protect each other, to help each other and to watch over each other,” he said.
The episodes are designed to be engaging and humorous while sharing examples of right and wrong practices.
Missionaries will be shown all subsequent video episodes during their time in a missionary training center, with all missionaries currently serving in-field to view the videos prior to May 1. That ensures the Church’s entire missionary force will have seen all episodes by that date.
Also, the videos can be used in subsequent training and conference meetings by missionary presidents and their companions.