Living prophets issued the “The Family: A Proclamation to the World” 20 years ago. Look at what has and hasn’t changed in 20 years.
- The DVD was introduced as a replacement for VHS.
- The World Wide Web had been available to the public for only two years.
- Most mobile phones had antennae and were just phones. They didn’t text, email, take pictures, or tell you how to run your life.
- Stuffed crust pizza was considered a revolution.
- More than 30 states passed defense of marriage laws defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman.
- “The Family: A Proclamation to the World” was issued.
- United States becomes the 20th country to legalize same-sex marriage.
- 64% of all American adults own a smartphone.
- 40.6% of births in the United States in 2013 were out of wedlock.
- Only 50.5% of American adults are married.
- The principles in “The Family: A Proclamation to the World” still hold true.
Trends come and go, public opinion shifts, and cell phones seem to get more and more advanced by the minute. But one thing that hasn’t changed is the importance of working and loving together in righteous families. It’s pretty amazing that Heavenly Father’s prophets issued a statement back then that is so relevant today.
Prayerfully read through “The Family: A Proclamation to the World.” Ponder the doctrines, counsel, warnings, and promised blessings and what they mean to you personally.
Share your experience
Why are you grateful for the proclamation? Share your experience below.