President Nelson gave us many specific calls to action to help gather Israel. Do you know what they are?
You’ve probably heard President Nelson’s challenge and call to youth. (If not, you should definitely check out his worldwide devotional for youth.) For a recap, he invited you to enlist in the youth battalion of the Lord and called you to “the greatest challenge, the greatest cause, and the greatest work on earth”—the gathering of Israel.
The Call to Gather Israel
We are the hope of Israel in the latter days! You can read about the doctrine of the gathering in the Book of Mormon (start with 1 Nephi 10:14).
The Call to Change Yourself and Change the World (the Big Five Challenges)
President Nelson gave five specific calls to action that will help you prepare to gather Israel and “change you and help you change the world.”
- Fast from social media for seven days in a row so you can “disengage from a constant reliance on social media.”
- Notice if there are things you want to stop doing or things you want to start doing differently in your life.
- Make a weekly sacrifice of your time to the Lord.
- For three weeks, give up something you like to do.
- Use your extra time to help others—living or dead—take a step closer to making covenants and receiving temple ordinances. Show Heavenly Father “that you want to be part of His youth battalion—more than you want anything else.”
- Keep on the covenant path.
- Ensure that your feet are firmly planted on the covenant path by doing “a thorough life assessment with the Lord.”
- Are there any thoughts or behaviors that you need to change? You can talk to your parents or your bishop if you need help understanding how to repent.
- Pray daily for all to receive the blessings of the gospel.
- “If you are sometimes called ‘weird,’ wear that distinction as a badge of honor and be happy that your light is shining brightly,” said President Nelson.
- Study For the Strength of Youth.
The Call to Receive Revelation
If you were listening closely, you might have noticed that President Nelson also gave many other calls to action for those who enlist in the youth battalion:
- Learn how to receive personal revelation. “Take your questions directly to your Heavenly Father in prayer. Ask Him, in the name of Jesus Christ, to guide you.”
- Sincerely and persistently develop the skill of listening to the Holy Ghost.
- Listen to the counsel of your parents and Church leaders.
- Read daily from the Book of Mormon to understand the gathering of Israel and learn more about Jesus Christ, His Atonement, and His gospel.
If we respond to these calls to action, we will receive help from God as we gather Israel. We will be able to accomplish what we were born to do. What a blessing it is to receive counsel from God through His prophets!
Share Your Experience
How have you taken on the challenges from President Nelson? Share your experience below.