Church-service missionaries labor in the Lord’s vineyard by inviting members to come unto Christ and help them to become spiritually and temporally self-reliant. They follow the promptings of the Spirit, love the people and are passionate about mentoring and helping others become self-reliant. Great church-service missionaries are self-starters with a positive attitude, require little supervision, and are teachable and willing to collaborate with others, including a Stake Self-Reliance specialist, a Self-Reliance Services manager and/or a PEF Self-Reliance Services missionary couple.
Some of the ways church-service missionaries may help are:
- Assist in the day-to-day operations of Self-Reliance Center.
- Collaborate with the Stake Self-Reliance Committee on needs and goals of priesthood leaders
- Facilitate and oversee self-reliance groups, including My Path to Self-Reliance, My Foundation, My Job Search, Accelerated Job Search, Education for Better Work, and Starting and Growing My Business
- Assist in the mentoring call center, calling members in the stake to give encouragement and guidance
- Assist the Stake Self-Reliance specialist, the Self-Reliance Services manager, and/or the PEF Self-Reliance Services missionary couple in preparing reports, as needed
- Teach employable skills; for example, English and other classes to assist the members in becoming self-reliant
- Be a mentor to those who are on their way to self-reliance
- Participate in and help organize stake self-reliance devotionals and other activities, as invited by the Stake Self-Reliance Committee
If you’d like to volunteer or learn more about service opportunities, contact your local self-reliance center.