“The Church in Uruguay,” New Era, July 2009, 39
Uruguay’s first contact with the Church occurred at the 1940 South American basketball championship game held in Montevideo. One of Argentina’s star players, Rolf Larson, served as a missionary for the Church in Argentina and brought publicity to the Church as a team member.
In 1944, the first congregation was organized for North Americans working in Uruguay. By the end of 1948, a mission and 14 congregations were organized. By 1957, nearly 500 converts joined annually. Church membership in Uruguay has increased 80 percent in the past five years.
Here are a few facts about the Church today in Uruguay:
Wards & Branches
Family History Centers