“Temple News,” Liahona, Dec. 2010, 78
President Thomas S. Monson dedicated the Church’s 131st temple just outside Vancouver, British Columbia, on May 2, 2010. Nearly 40,000 people toured the temple during the public open house, which was held two months after the 2010 Winter Olympic Games in Vancouver. The Vancouver British Columbia Temple will serve members in British Columbia and northern Washington, USA. The Church now has eight planned or operating temples in Canada.
President Thomas S. Monson dedicated The Gila Valley Arizona Temple on May 23, 2010, in three sessions. The temple serves members in southeast Arizona and southwest New Mexico. The temple is located in southeast Arizona, not far from the area where President Spencer W. Kimball (1895–1985) grew up. The Gila Valley Temple is the third to open in Arizona, and two more (Gilbert Arizona and Phoenix Arizona) have been announced.
President Thomas S. Monson dedicated the second temple in the Philippines on June 13, 2010. The Cebu City Philippines Temple is located about 350 miles (563 km) from the Manila Philippines Temple. The temple will serve more than 200,000 members in the Visayas and Mindanao areas. More than 45,000 people attended the two-week public open house. On the night prior to the dedication, more than 3,000 youth performed in a cultural event.
The groundbreaking for the Brigham City Utah Temple was held on Saturday, July 31, 2010, at 9:00 a.m. President Boyd K. Packer, President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, presided at the groundbreaking, which was broadcast to stake centers throughout the temple district. The Brigham City Utah Temple was announced in general conference on October 3, 2009. It will be the Church’s 14th operating temple in Utah.
The Kyiv Ukraine Temple was dedicated on August 29, 2010, in three sessions broadcast throughout the temple district. A public open house took place from August 7 to 21, with a cultural celebration on August 28. The temple was announced on July 20, 1998. Construction began on June 23, 2007. It is the Church’s first temple in Eastern Europe and the 11th on the European continent. The Kyiv Temple serves members in 13 countries.
After extensive renovations, the Laie Hawaii Temple was rededicated in three sessions on November 21, 2010, following a public open house from October 22 to November 13 and a cultural celebration on November 20. The rededication was broadcast within the Laie and Kona Temple districts. The temple was the Church’s fifth, dedicated in 1919 by President Heber J. Grant and rededicated in 1978 by President Spencer W. Kimball.