“Mexico City Temple Rededicated,” Ensign, Jan. 2009, 80
President Thomas S. Monson formally rededicated the Mexico City Mexico Temple on November 16, 2008, after 19 months of renovation. President Henry B. Eyring, First Counselor in the First Presidency, also attended the rededication.
After functioning without interruption for 25 years, the temple closed its doors on March 31, 2007, for remodeling. In October the temple opened for a public open house. Guided tours were offered from October 20 through November 8, 2008, excluding Sundays. Latter-day Saints from the region then attended two dedicatory sessions.
The temple serves approximately 264,000 members of the Church who live in Mexico City and the states of Mexico, Guerrero, Guanajuato, Morelos, Baja California Sur, Michoacán, Hidalgo, Puebla, Querétaro, and San Luis Potosí.
The Mexico City Temple was the first of 12 temples constructed in Mexico and was originally dedicated on December 2, 1983.
The history of the Church in Mexico City traces back to 1875, when President Brigham Young sent Daniel Jones along with a small group of missionaries to Mexico City, where they distributed brochures to several Mexican leaders. One of these brochures fell into the hands of Plotino Rhodacanaty, who later became the first member of the Church in Mexico. In November 1879 the Church’s first branch in Mexico City was organized with Brother Rhodacanaty as branch president.
Currently, the Church has 212 stakes and approximately 1,120,000 members throughout the country.