1. ’Twas witnessed in the morning sky:
An angel earthward bound.
This messenger proclaimed anew
The gospel’s joyful sound.
In pow’r it would be preached on earth
By men of God ordained;
All men, all tongues, all nations would
Accept and praise his name.
2. In ancient days the gospel plan
Was giv’n of God to men;
In latter days the gospel is
Restored to earth again.
By holy prophets long proclaimed,
By Saints and seers adored,
It speaks the everlasting truths
Of Jesus Christ, the Lord.
3. Apostles of a former day
To modern prophets came;
They brought the priesthood of our Lord
To bless the earth again.
The pow’rs of heav’n are opened wide
To men of God below;
The knowledge, gifts, and keys are ours,
All blessings to bestow.
Text: Adapted by G. William Richards, 1918–2005. © 1985 IRI
Music: H. Walford Davies, 1869–1941, alt. Based on the tune SOLEMN MELODY.
Reproduced by permission of Novello and Company Limited, Making copies without written permission of the copyright owner is prohibited.
- Hymn Number
- H. Walford Davies, 1869–1941, alt. Based on the tune
- Anon. G. William Richards, 1918–.
- Joseph Smith—History 1:30–34, 68–72, Doctrine and Covenants 128:20–21
- 8 6 8 6 8 6 8 6
- CMD (Common Meter Doubled)
- Missionary Work, Priesthood, Prophets, Restoration of the Gospel
- Solemn Melody