1. Once in royal David’s city
Stood a lowly cattle shed,
Where a mother laid her baby
In a manger for his bed:
Mary was that mother mild,
Jesus Christ her little child.
2. He came down to earth from heaven,
Who is God and Lord of all,
And his shelter was a stable,
And his cradle was a stall;
With the poor, and mean, and lowly,
Lived on earth our Savior holy.
3. And our eyes at last shall see him,
Through his own redeeming love;
For that child so dear and gentle
Is our Lord in heav’n above,
And he leads his children on
To the place where he is gone.
Text: Cecil Frances Alexander, 1818–1895
Music: Henry J. Gauntlett, 1805–1876
- Hymn Number
- Henry J. Gauntlett, 1805–1876
- Cecil Frances Alexander, 1818–1895.
- Luke 2:4–7, 11–12, Mosiah 3:5–8
- 8 7 8 7 7 7
Født hos dyrene i stalden (Salmebog)
Dovydo mieste, tvartely (Giesmynas)
Egykor Dávid városában (Himnuszoskönyv)
Junxil chaq saʼ xtenamit laj David
В городе царя Давида (Книга гимнов)