1. Do what is right; the day-dawn is breaking,
Hailing a future of freedom and light.
Angels above us are silent notes taking
Of ev’ry action; then do what is right!
Do what is right; let the consequence follow.
Battle for freedom in spirit and might;
And with stout hearts look ye forth till tomorrow.
God will protect you; then do what is right!
2. Do what is right; the shackles are falling.
Chains of the bondsmen no longer are bright;
Lightened by hope, soon they’ll cease to be galling.
Truth goeth onward; then do what is right!
3. Do what is right; be faithful and fearless.
Onward, press onward, the goal is in sight.
Eyes that are wet now, ere long will be tearless.
Blessings await you in doing what’s right!
Text: Anon., The Psalms of Life, Boston, 1857
Music: George Kiallmark, 1781–1835
- Hymn Number
- George Kiallmark, 1781–1835
- Anon., The Psalms of Life, Boston, 1857
- Deuteronomy 6:17-18, Helaman 10:4-5
- 10 10 11 10 11 10 11 10
- Agency, Honesty, Obedience, Word of Wisdom
- Oaken Bucket