1. Come, let us sing an evening hymn
To calm our minds for rest,
And each one try, with single eye,
To praise the Savior best.
2. Yea, let us sing a sacred song
To close the passing day,
With one accord call on the Lord
And ever watch and pray.
3. Oh, thank the Lord for grace and gifts
Renewed in latter days,
For truth and light to guide us right
In wisdom’s pleasant ways,
4. For ev’ry line we have received
To turn our hearts above,
For ev’ry word and ev’ry good
That fill our souls with love.
5. Oh, let us raise a holier strain
For blessings great as ours,
And be prepared while angels guard
Us through our slumb’ring hours.
6. Oh, may we sleep and wake in joy,
While life with us remains,
And then go home beyond the tomb,
Where peace forever reigns.
Text: William W. Phelps, 1792–1872
Music: Tracy Y. Cannon, 1879–1961