1. This is the season beloved of the year.
Sing a rhyme; Christmastime soon will be here.
Tell the true story of Jesus’ birth,
When, as a baby, he came to the earth.
2. This is the new star, shining so bright,
Lighting the world on that first Christmas night.
This is the angel proclaiming the birth,
Singing “Hosanna!” and “Peace on the earth!”
3. This is the stable, shelter so bare;
Cattle and oxen first welcomed him there.
This is the manger, sweet hay for a bed,
Waiting for Jesus to cradle his head.
4. These are the shepherds, humble and mild,
Hast’ning to worship the heavenly child.
These are the wise men who followed the star,
Frankincense, gold, and myrrh brought from afar.
5. See the sweet mother, Mary so fair,
Joseph, who guided the donkey with care.
See the dear baby of Bethlehem,
Little Lord Jesus, the Savior of men.
Words and music: Patricia Kelsey Graham, b. 1940. © 1980 IRI. Adapted from the poem “The Nativity Story” by Avon Allen Compton.
- Children's Songbook
- Page Number
- Patricia Kelsey Graham, b. 1940. © 1980 IRI. Adapted from the poem “The Nativity Story” by Avon Allen Compton.
- Patricia Kelsey Graham, b. 1940; Adapted from the poem "The Nativity Story" by Avon Allen Compton.
- Luke 2:1-16, Matthew 2:1-11