1. Who Are We? EnglishConnect is an English-language learning program sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a worldwide Christian church with headquarters in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States of America (the “Church”). We increase English language proficiency through in-person lessons, online and audio modules, and other practice activities. Although lessons are intended to improve English-language proficiency, they also contain religious content. We do not carry any type of accreditation or confer any type of degree or credit by any educational or training program.
2. Standards for Participation. Everyone is welcome to participate in EnglishConnect, as long as they abide by these Terms of Participation. We do not screen participants in any way before they can participate. We expect you to treat other participants with dignity and respect. Do not ask for money, discriminate, or harass anyone. Use good judgment in what you share about yourself with others. Any behavior or language that is deemed inappropriate or that creates an unsafe environment for others is unacceptable. Group facilitators can remove anyone from the group for any reason at their discretion.
3. Data Privacy. When you sign up for EnglishConnect and provide us with your personal information, you are choosing to participate in our community. We may contact you to notify you of additional ways that you can participate with us. We respect your privacy and will only use your personal information in accordance with local law and the Church Global Privacy Notice. In accordance with the Notice, our instructors, volunteers, and employees, as well as local members or leaders of the Church, may access and process the personal information you provide us, on a need-to-know basis, to assist and support your participation in EnglishConnect or other Church programs. They do so in order to respond to your requests, provide information and services, pursue legitimate interests, and meet legal obligations.
4. Internet Access and Fees. You will need access to a computer with a high-speed internet connection and audio recording to effectively participate in EnglishConnect. There is no fee for participation in EnglishConnect 1 & 2, although you may be charged a minimal fee for copies of printed materials. EnglishConnect 3 is a low-cost online course provided through BYU-Pathway Worldwide.
5. Parental Consent. If you are a minor in the state or country where you live, you must provide a signed parental/guardian consent form before participating in EnglishConnect. Forms are available from EnglishConnect instructors.
6. Enrollment and Attendance. A minimum number of applicants is required to start EnglishConnect in your area. If the minimum is not achieved, you may not be able to participate in EnglishConnect at this time. Once the EnglishConnect program begins, attendance at weekly EnglishConnect gatherings is expected, makes up a significant part of your overall progress, and is required to receive a certificate of completion.
7. Disability Accommodations. The Church cares about the success of all participants in its programs. Although it is not legally required to provide accommodations or assistance to participants with disabilities, the Church endeavors to provide reasonable assistance to those who need it, voluntarily and in its sole discretion. Participants with disabilities may request assistance from instructors and missionaries. Such assistance may differ from accommodations provided by other institutions.