Temple City
The Lord commanded His Saints to gather to Nauvoo and build a temple and a city. They made sacrifices to build the house of the Lord and the city, and they made covenants inside the temple to strengthen their relationships with each other and with God.
In the same revelation where the Lord called Nauvoo a “cornerstone of Zion,” He also commanded the Latter-day Saints to build a temple so that He could restore “the fulness of the priesthood” (see Doctrine and Covenants 124:2, 26–28 ). Through the Prophet Joseph Smith, God then revealed temple ordinances in Nauvoo, including baptisms for the dead , the endowment ceremony , and marriage sealings . These ordinances were eventually performed inside the Nauvoo Temple , the spiritual centerpiece of the city.
Historic Nauvoo’s Temple City is a group of buildings and landscapes that provide an overview of the revelations, design, construction, and religious practices of the original Nauvoo Temple. It features properties that belonged to an architect, a stone carver, a bishop, and a farmer located northwest of theNauvoo Illinois Temple , a reconstruction (completed in 2002) of the 1840s temple that once stood in the same place. Together these restored sites help tell the story of the house of the Lord—the Latter-day Saints’ crowning achievement from the 1840s.
Historic Nauvoo’s Temple City is a group of buildings and landscapes that provide an overview of the revelations, design, construction, and religious practices of the original Nauvoo Temple. It features properties that belonged to an architect, a stone carver, a bishop, and a farmer located northwest of the
Weeks Home, Office Desk. The office functioned like a design studio to draft designs and meet with potential clients.
William and Caroline Weeks were among thousands of Saints who gathered to build up Nauvoo as a temple city. William Weeks , a relatively young designer and builder from Massachusetts, discovered the restored gospel as a student and moved to Nauvoo in 1839, where he met and married Caroline Allen. They constructed their home in Nauvoo by 1841, which included an office adjacent to the parlor.
Following the January 19, 1841, revelation (Doctrine and Covenants 124 ) that called for a house of the Lord to be built in Nauvoo, Joseph Smith requested design submissions for the Nauvoo Temple. Upon reviewing William’s proposals, Joseph said, “You are the man I want.”1 Here in the Weeks’ home studio, William and Joseph worked out the designs for the temple. The process took nearly two years and numerous revisions before William’s proposed design finally fit Joseph Smith’s vision for the temple.
Following the January 19, 1841, revelation (
An early version of the design for the Nauvoo Temple (left) and a later revised version (right). Note how the triangular pediment was refined to a rectangular shape to allow more space in the attic and how the tower’s design evolved to include an angel weathervane.
While design work for the temple took place in this home, Caroline Weeks lost two young children to illnesses, including Laura, who died three months before her first birthday. Of her eventual 10 children, only 3 survived past infancy. These tragic life events may have been somewhat softened by the emerging doctrine of temple sealings and eternal families.
Weeks Home, Rear Bedroom.
One of Caroline’s neighbors wrote of these hopeful doctrines concerning the afterlife amid her own personal loss of family members. In 1844, Eliza R. Snow moved in with Stephen and Hannah Markham just west of the Weeks home. In October of that same year, Eliza wrote a poem entitled “To My Heavenly Father” to mourn the passing of her father. The poem has since become a beloved hymn titled “O My Father” that speaks of eternal families and gives the assurance that death isn’t the end of our existence.
Temple Stones Pavilion
Even before William Weeks and Joseph Smith had finalized plans, Latter-day Saints began building the temple. A modern Temple Stones Pavilion now stands on the former property of William and Elizabeth Jones. Text and tools demonstrate the labor-intensive process of excavating, shaping, and setting stone to construct the Nauvoo Temple. As a skilled stonecutter, William Jones shaped the first moonstone for the Nauvoo Temple. His wife, Elizabeth Jones, was a founding member of the Nauvoo Female Relief Society. She traveled to outlying cities to raise funds for the temple’s construction.
Nauvoo 1842, Consecrated Labor, by Walter Rane, oil on canvas, 2020.
The following illustrated slides walk you through the intensive labor involved in processing raw stone before placing it along the temple walls. Excavating, hauling, splitting, cutting, carving, finishing, and setting are explained as they related to temple construction, including illustrations of the tools used.
1 / 7
Historic Nauvoo
Latter-day Saints built the Nauvoo Temple from local limestone. Turning huge slabs of stone into useful building materials required many skilled workers and specialized tools. But the first step was just to get enough suitable stone out of the ground. Builders in Nauvoo could use surface layers for flagstones, or they could pound them into gravel for repairing roads. Below the surface are thicker layers for building. Reaching these required blasting away earth and stone using gunpowder.Historic Nauvoo
Most of the stone came from two main quarries outside the city and about two miles away from the construction site. People volunteered their time and equipment to get the large stones out of the ground and up to the temple building site. The largest stones weighed over 5,000 pounds. These were not loaded into wagons but simply strapped to the axle of an oxcart with tall wheels.Historic Nauvoo
Once stone was brought to the building area, workers split the stone into smaller blocks. They drilled holes and placed metal pins along the grain of the stone. A distinct, rhythmic sound rang out as they hammered each pin in turn. Three pieces of metal work together to split the stone—a pin or wedge in the center and two feathers, or shims, on each side. Stonecutters struck each pin in a strategic sequence that gave the stone a chance to split evenly. The process was also known as “delving.”Historic Nauvoo
Limestone is a soft stone that can be cut with a saw. Blacksmiths worked to keep saws and other tools sharp and in good repair while stonecutters prepared square blocks for the walls and windowsills of the temple. The blocks in the temple walls were various sizes depending on their height and position.Historic Nauvoo
While many people could help with blasting and hauling stone, the work of carving individual blocks took skilled craftsmen making expert changes with a variety of chisels and files. Workers shared their talents and trained others to help so that the work could move forward as quickly as possible. Most apprentices began work about age 12 and spent seven years becoming master stone carvers. James Rollins began in 1844 at age 28. After just one year of work, he carved the last of the temple sunstones.Historic Nauvoo
Workers used metal files and loose sand to smooth and polish the cut stones as a final step before adding them to the building. The outside edge was carefully polished smooth, but rough edges on the sides and back would help mortar hold the blocks in place. Thirty decorative pilasters adorned the temple walls. The plinths were large stones with a moon carved on their faces. The capitals showed a sun and two hands holding trumpets. These were carved in two parts. A star stood above each capital. Imagine the time it took to polish each one.Historic Nauvoo
The temple building crews developed different tools over time, including large cranes with block and tackle to help lift heavy stones into place. Oxen and horses helped lift when more power was needed. Stonemasons mixed lime mortar from powered lime, water, and sand. They spread the mortar between stones using a trowel, then tapped the stones into their final positions using a wooden mallet. Before the mortar dried, workers used a plumb line and square to make sure the blocks were correctly in place.Hunter Home, located downhill and west of the temple.
Edward and Ann Hunter were converts from Chester County, Pennsylvania, just outside of Philadelphia. After they joined the Church, they sold their prosperous farm and helped most of their Church branch—including the Gheen family, who we will encounter later—relocate to Nauvoo. The Hunters contracted to have a nice, large home constructed before moving their family to Illinois.
In the Hunter Home in the summer of 1842, Joseph Smith went into hiding to avoid marshals who had entered Nauvoo with the intent to arrest him and take him back to Missouri.2 It was while he was temporarily living here that Joseph wrote down some additional instructions about the doctrine and practice of baptisms for the dead. Those instructions were put into two letters to the Latter-day Saints. They now appear in the Doctrine and Covenants as sections127 and 128 .
In the Hunter Home in the summer of 1842, Joseph Smith went into hiding to avoid marshals who had entered Nauvoo with the intent to arrest him and take him back to Missouri.2 It was while he was temporarily living here that Joseph wrote down some additional instructions about the doctrine and practice of baptisms for the dead. Those instructions were put into two letters to the Latter-day Saints. They now appear in the Doctrine and Covenants as sections
Edward Hunter’s office, where Joseph might have stood or sat with his scribe and dictated the words to revelations that now appear as sections 127 and 128 of the Doctrine and Covenants.
In 1844, Edward Hunter was called to serve as bishop of the Nauvoo 5th Ward.3 As a bishop, Edward held responsibilities to accept tithing donations and care for those in need by gathering and redistributing fast offerings. Some of these donations were specifically for the temple. As the people anticipated the dedication of the temple, many brought their fine carpets, ceramics, tables, and chairs to help furnish the building.
Hunter Home, Summer Kitchen. A book on display in this bishop’s-storehouse-like setting of the Hunter’s summer kitchen shows names of people who provided labor tithing toward the construction of the temple.
Bishop Hunter also helped organize labor tithing. Labor tithing was where workers donated one working day of every ten for temple construction. Joseph Smith taught the people that those who contributed their time and means would be recommended to enter the temple first. In the Church today, bishops still help certify recommends for individuals to enter the temple. In 1846, the tithing record was one way that people obtained a recommend to enter the Nauvoo Temple.
Gheen Home, half-acre donated to temple construction fenced off in the foreground.
Like many others in Nauvoo, William and Esther Gheen immediately set their sights on the temple when they arrived in Nauvoo. By the time they arrived in 1842, temple plans and construction were well underway. They purchased an acre of land from Joseph Smith just down the hill from the temple site and built their home facing where the temple was rising. William Gheen assisted in building the temple with labor and liberal donations. In fact, tithing records show that in December 1844, William Gheen paid his tithing by dividing his one acre of land in half and donating the western half to the Church.
While the temple was still under construction, a baptistry was dedicated for the work of baptisms for the dead. In 1843, William and Esther Gheen went twice to this baptistry and were baptized on behalf of family members who had died before they could receive the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.
While the temple was still under construction, a baptistry was dedicated for the work of baptisms for the dead. In 1843, William and Esther Gheen went twice to this baptistry and were baptized on behalf of family members who had died before they could receive the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.
Gheen Home, Parlor.
William Gheen arrived home from a mission in the spring of 1845 and became ill shortly thereafter. On July 15, 1845, William Gheen died in his own home. At his funeral, William was remembered as a man who “sustained the reputation of a faithful saint until death.”4 Esther Gheen remained faithful. On February 2, 1846, about six months after her husband, William, died, Esther was sealed to William by proxy in the Nauvoo Temple. Through this sealing, she looked past temporal death and saw a future with her husband in eternity. This and other like ordinances fulfilled the purpose of building the temple—the Gheens became a family sealed together forever.
Conclusion
The Weeks, Jones, Hunter, and Gheen families represent the many faithful members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who contributed to transforming Nauvoo into a temple city and a “cornerstone of Zion .” The temple blessings revealed as part of this cornerstone of Zion continue to unite families through the present day and throughout the world.
Notes
Notes
1. Earl Arrington, “William Weeks, Architect of the Nauvoo Temple,” BYU Studies, vol. 19, no. 3 (1979), 340.
2. See Church History Topics, “Missouri Extradition Attempts ,” ChurchofJesusChrist.org/study/history/topics.
3. There were 10 wards in Nauvoo at that time. An 11th ward was added in 1845.
4. Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,July 16, 1845 , Church History Library, Salt Lake City.
2. See Church History Topics, “
3. There were 10 wards in Nauvoo at that time. An 11th ward was added in 1845.
4. Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,