President Gordon B. Hinckley dedicated Historic Kirtland on May 18, 2003, after which it was opened to the public. Tours and exhibits are available at the site year-round. They tell about experiences of early members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who gathered in Kirtland in the 1830s.
In early 1831 the Lord commanded Latter-day Saints to go to Ohio, where they would receive His law, be endowed with power from on high, and prepare to share His gospel among all nations (see Doctrine and Covenants 38:32–33). While they were there, they built a temple—a place of learning, worship, and revelation. In Kirtland, Joseph Smith received many revelations to guide the government of the Savior’s restored Church and to guide the individual lives of Church members.
The Kirtland Temple is owned and operated by Community of Christ. They offer tours for a small fee, which enables them to preserve the temple. For information about visiting the temple, click or tap here.
Schedule a Virtual Tour of Historic Kirtland.