The Kanesville Tabernacle, in Council Bluffs, Iowa, is a reconstruction of the tabernacle built by the Latter-day Saints to provide a place to reorganize the First Presidency in 1847. In the tabernacle, Brigham Young was sustained as the President of the Church with Apostles Willard Richards and Heber C. Kimball serving as his counselors.
The tabernacle is a historic site that commemorates the reorganization of the First Presidency in 1847. A visitors’ center on site also includes exhibits, historical artifacts, and a film about the Mormon Battalion, whose members enlisted about 10 miles south of the tabernacle. The Mormon Battalion was a group of about 500 Latter-day Saints who joined the United States Army in 1846, during the Mexican-American War, to help provide financial support for their families and other Mormon pioneers.
The original tabernacle was built in December 1847 in the Council Bluffs area of Iowa, which was later renamed Kanesville by the Latter-day Saints. On December 27 many Saints attended a meeting in the tabernacle during which they sustained Brigham Young as President of the Church and Heber C. Kimball and Willard Richards as counselors in the First Presidency. This marked the first time that the First Presidency had been organized since the deaths of Joseph and Hyrum Smith. The process of sustaining a new President helped establish the pattern of succession that continues in the Church today.