The Deuel Family Cabin is a Latter-day Saint pioneer-era original log home. It is one of two surviving homes built by the Latter-day Saint pioneers who settled in Salt Lake City in 1847. The cabin is located between the Church History Museum and the Family History Library on West Temple in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah.
The Deuel cabin is the oldest building on the broader campus of Temple Square. It has been fully restored and furnished with authentic pioneer artifacts. During warmer months, the cabin’s immediate grounds are used to grow vegetation common to the pioneer era.
The log cabin was originally constructed from Douglas fir and lodgepole pine logs from the mountains east of Salt Lake City. It was a home for Osmyn and Mary Deuel as well as Osmyn’s brother Amos. The Deuel family came from New York but migrated with the Latter-day Saints when they joined the faith. The family lived in this cabin for about two years. They later became working blacksmiths and farmers in the Utah Territory.
The cabin was originally located in an adobe fort several blocks away from Temple Square. A few years later, ox teams pulled it to another location. In 1912 the cabin was donated to the Church as a historic relic. It was dismantled and rebuilt inside the Deseret Museum. Then between 1918 and 1919 the cabin was moved to a different location on Temple Square, where it stayed until 1976. It was put in storage until it was moved to its current location, where it was restored and opened to the the public in1985.
The Deuel Cabin is open for visitors to view from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily.