Did you notice how President Russell M. Nelson mentioned gathering Israel again in general conference? In the past he has called it the greatest challenge, cause, and work on earth—and he invites you to participate!1
Here are a few ideas for kickstarting your quest to help gather Israel.
1. Do a social media fast.
Stay off social media for just seven days. Notice if it changes how you feel or what you think about. At the end of your fast, is there anything you want to do differently? Be sure to write it down.
2. Sacrifice time to the Lord.
How can you give a little more time to the Lord each week? Here are a few ideas, but make your sacrifice personal to you!
- Include a scripture or uplifting quote the next time you post on social media.
- Stop scrolling 10 minutes earlier so you can spend 10 minutes doing family history.
- Give up watching a funny video to watch a gospel message from general conference or Strive to Be.
3. Stay on the covenant path.
You are part of Israel, so gathering Israel includes coming closer to Christ yourself!
The internet has lots of good content but also a lot of bad. Pray for increased awareness and the strength to turn away from inappropriate, demeaning, or time-wasting content.
4. Look up and reach out.
Look up to heaven through prayer and ask how you can help those around you. Then reach out!
- Send a message asking how someone is doing.
- Call a friend. Try a video chat so they can see your smile.
- Have a face-to-face conversation with a family member.
5. Be a light.
Stand out. Be different. President Nelson said: “You and I know that you are to be a light to the world. Therefore, the Lord needs you to look like, sound like, act like, and dress like a true disciple of Jesus Christ.”2
How can you be a brighter light at school, with your friends, and online? Write down your goal and review it often.
Adapted from Bonnie H. Cordon, “Technology, the Gathering, and You,” For the Strength of Youth, October 2022.
1. See Russell M. Nelson, “Hope of Israel” (worldwide youth devotional, June 3, 2018), ChurchofJesusChrist.org
2. Nelson, “Hope of Israel.”