A technology specialist should verify that all software used on clerk computers complies with the following guidelines.
Clerk computers are to be used to manage membership information and finances for Church purposes only. Almost all software used for Church purposes is available from the Church via download or web page. Additional software is not generally needed.
If a local unit has unique needs that require additional software to perform Church functions, the clerk should get approval from the stake president.
If the stake president approves the use of additional software on the clerk computer, it is recommended that the clerk use browser-based products rather than installed applications or programs to help prevent potential licensing, security, support, and data privacy issues.
Do not store personal information on local drives when using third-party software not provided by the Church.
Occasionally, Church headquarters will audit local computers and remove applications that violate these guidelines from the hard drive without notifying the local unit technology specialist.
When it is determined that a unique need requires additional software not provided by the Church, the Church recommends using free software applications like OpenOffice whenever possible to keep costs down and to reduce the burden of keeping license agreement records.
Additional guidelines regarding software include the following:
All clerk computers will have the standard Windows Edge browser. The use of other browsers is also authorized:
UTILITIES AND PLUG-INS
- Adobe Reader: A program that allows you to view and print PDF files.
- Foxit Reader: A lightweight alternative to Adobe Reader for viewing and printing PDF files.
- CutePDF: A print driver that allows documents to be saved in PDF file format and stored on the hard drive rather than printed in order to save paper and toner.
- PhotoScape: Free photo-editing software that provides features such as crop, straighten, red-eye removal, add text, retouch, and so forth. With this software, you can prepare photos of ward or branch members to post on a meetinghouse bulletin board or to upload to the unit’s online directory on ChurchofJesusChrist.org.
- All Church-owned desktops ship from the manufacturer with a Microsoft operating system (OS) installed. The only supported OS version is Windows 10 Pro.
- Windows 10 computers come licensed from the manufacturer; however, these licenses are stored digitally on the device. No visual indication may be present.