Full-Time Missionary Serving in Mexico City Dies of Asphyxiation in His Apartment
Contributed By Scott Taylor, Church News managing editor
A full-time missionary serving in Mexico City has died of asphyxiation in his apartment.
Elder Andrew Carr, 19, who is from Fort Worth, Texas, and was serving in the Mexico Mexico City Northwest Mission, died Saturday morning, May 18. His companion was unharmed in the apartment incident.
The asphyxiation was apparently due to a faulty water heater located near the shower in his apartment, said Daniel Woodruff, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
“We extend our deepest sympathies to his parents and loved ones as they deal with this tragedy,” said Woodruff of Elder Carr, who began his service in October 2018. “We pray they will be sustained and feel the comfort of the Holy Spirit during this difficult time.”
President Shawn Furniss of the Fort Worth Texas North Stake, Elder Carr's home stake, provided a statement on behalf of the family.
“We are deeply saddened by the loss of Elder Andrew Carr, but we take comfort in the eternal plan of a loving Heavenly Father. How grateful we are to know that in times of tragedy we can find peace and hope through the Atonement and Resurrection of Jesus Christ.”