EnglishConnect is an English-language learning program designed to help learners increase their English proficiency in a gospel-centered environment. EnglishConnect courses help learners act in faith to develop English skills, which can increase educational and vocational opportunities.
Success with EnglishConnect 1 and 2
This guide explains EnglishConnect 1 and 2 courses and materials and offers suggested time lines and tips that will help your EnglishConnect program be a blessing in the lives of those you serve.
Before EnglishConnect 1 and 2 can be offered in a country, the Office of General Counsel (OGC) must give legal approval.
Click here to view an updated list of approved locations and country-specific legal requirements.
General Legal Requirements for Approved Locations
The OGC has approved the following operational guidelines for the EnglishConnect program. These guidelines will apply worldwide to EnglishConnect 1, EnglishConnect 2, and Learn English Now, subject to any country-specific legal requirements outlined in the EnglishConnect legal summary for each country.
- No mass media advertising of the program targeting the general public (including no newspaper, radio, or broadly distributed social media advertising). Handbills, posters, announcements in church, or pass-along cards are acceptable.
- Obtain parental consent for each student 18 years old or under (click here to download the parental consent form).
- Obtain both parent signatures where possible. If someone 18 or under is living on his or her own, parental consent is not needed.
- Completed forms must be stored by local leaders and available for audit.
- Do not charge any fees or costs to participants for program participation.
- Program materials can be provided for free (by online download) or purchased through regular distribution channels by local units or directly by participants.
- At least one-third of all teaching must contain substantial religious content (religious content should take up 20 minutes of each hour of instruction or 30 minutes of each 90 minutes of instruction). Note: If the courses are implemented as designed, always including the gospel lesson or My Foundation for Self-Reliance lesson at the end of each class, this requirement will be met.
- Follow all local country standards for the vetting and calling of teachers of youth for any EnglishConnect teacher who will be teaching anyone under 21.
- Follow all program guidelines contained in the leader and teacher guides, which include the use of the online registration system (when available) to ensure data privacy.
- In order to avoid threats to missionary visas or the Church’s legal status, any mission that has never used English teaching as a contact method must obtain specific OGC approval before beginning to use EnglishConnect materials.
Enrollment and participation data will be tracked through the online Self-Reliance Services group registration tool. The self-reliance specialist or instructor should register and track the group at srs.lds.org/register.
Materials can be ordered from Church Distribution at store.lds.org. Click here to order the materials.
Materials can also be downloaded from the Course Materials page on this website.
Certificate of Completion
After each EnglishConnect class concludes, leaders can award each learner who has consistently attended the classes with a participation certificate. Specialists or instructors will distribute the certificates. Certificates can be downloaded below.
Note: This is only a participation recognition. EnglishConnect novice-level classes are not certified courses and do not award university credits.