- “Blessed and Healed” (January 2009 Friend)
Elder Anthony D. Perkins tells about how he had a hip disease when he was a child.
- “Brave Like Joseph Smith” (December 2019 Friend)
Isabel T., age 7, shares how learning a story about Joseph Smith having surgery on his leg helped her be brave in her own challenges.
- “Challenges in Missouri” (July 2013 Liahona and Friend)
Tells of some of the trials the early members of the Church faced in Missouri.
- “Dear Gracie” (November 2015 Friend)
Gracie is comforted about her upcoming surgery when she makes friends with an older girl who also has spina bifida.
- “Give Thanks for Everything” (January 2010 Friend )
President Thomas S. Monson teaches how we can be happy in life by being grateful, even when we face challenges.
- “Grumbling Peter” (April 2009 Friend )
Peter’s life has become hard since his baby twin brothers were born, but he learns in Primary that Jesus loves him.
- “The Hard Move” (August 2019 Friend)
Liesl H., age 9, shares how she was sad to move to a new place and then was glad after a few months.
- “Holding onto Hope” (March 2016 Friend)
Emma stands tall by continuing to be strong even while battling leukemia.
- “I Can Do Hard Things” (March 2010 Friend )
Jon is struggling in school, but he learns that he can do hard things.
- “Joseph’s Experiences in Jail” (October 2008 Liahona and Friend)
A retelling of the story of Joseph Smith’s experience in Liberty Jail.
- “Liberty Jail” (September 1997 Friend )
A telling of what happened at Liberty Jail from the Prophet Joseph Smith’s own account.
- “March of Zion’s Camp” (May 1993 Friend )
A retelling of the story of Zion’s Camp from Church history.
- “Maria’s Medal” (February 2009 Friend )
A girl learns that adversity can make her strong after she gets a disease that makes it so she can’t move very much.
- “Missing Dad” (September 2011 Friend )
Jaylee is sad because her parents are divorced and she misses her dad, but she finds comfort when she prays.
- “My Gratitude List” (November 2009 Friend )
Christina learns that even though her family has had trials she can still find many things to be grateful for.
- “My Miracle” (August 2016 Friend)
Jonah F., age 11, talks about how it was a miracle for him that the doctor’s discovered he has type 1 diabetes.
- “A New Chapter” (June 2019 Liahona and Friend)
Sarah is nervous about going to church and school in a new place after her dad died and she and her mom moved. She asks her uncle for a priesthood blessing.
- “Persecutions in Missouri” (June 1997 Liahona and July 1993 Friend)
A retelling of some of the trials the early members of the Church faced in Missouri.
- “Prayers and Potatoes” (January 2014 Friend)
Patrick learns that difficulties help us grow so we can become more like Heavenly Father.
- “Praying for Leif” (June 2019 Friend)
Magnus C., age 10, shares how he and his family were helped and comforted after his brother was diagnosed with leukemia.
- “Question Corner” (May 2013 Friend )
Heavenly Father sometimes helps me with small things, but why doesn’t He always help with bigger things, like healing someone who has a serious sickness?
- “The Rose Garden” (April 2005 Liahona and Friend)
Mike is sad after his mom dies and asks Heavenly Father to help him.
- “A Stripling-Warrior Family” (August 2019 Liahona and Friend)
Sister Michelle D. Craig of the Young Women General Presidency tells about a boy in Chile who was brave like the stripling warriors after his father died.
- “The Stuttering Struggle” (November 2015 Friend)
Nathaniel has a stuttering problem and is afraid when asked to narrate the Primary program, but he finds courage through practice and prayer.
- “Sweeter Than Pie” (November 2015 Friend)
Tally is sad when she gets sick and has to miss the Thanksgiving party at school, but then she remembers to be grateful.
- “The T-E-S-T” (October 2018 Friend)
Sharon Eubank of the Relief Society General Presidency shares how her father taught her that she will have tests in her life just like Daniel did, but that we don’t need to be afraid because Heavenly Father will help us.
- “Trials for Joseph and Emma” (September 2008 Liahona and Friend)
The story of the trials faced by Joseph and Emma in the early days of the Church.
- “Trouble in Adventure Forest” (April 2018 Friend)
After burning his feet, Owen learns that Heavenly Father doesn’t always stop bad things from happening, but He helps us get through them.
- “What can we do when hard things happen to us?” (May 2012 Friend )
Elder Robert D. Hales of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles shares some thoughts on this subject.
- “What should I do if I can’t stop feeling sad all the time?” (November 2015 Friend)
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland shares ideas and encouragement for children going through hard times. Includes a story about when Elder Holland was a young father and had some trials.
- “Journal Page” (August 2002 Friend)
A page that you can fill out to talk about some of the challenges you’ve gone through.
- “Joseph and Emma’s Trials” (September 2008 Friend )
Color and cut out these figures to use in telling about some of the trials that Joseph and Emma faced in the early days of the Church.
- “Joseph Smith in Liberty Jail” (October 2008 Friend )
Color and cut out these figured to use in telling the story of Joseph Smith in Liberty Jail.
- “Tender Mercies” (November 2015 Friend)
An activity for remembering the blessings Heavenly Father sends us every day. Includes a recipe for spiced nuts.
- Bright Idea Poster: “I can conquer GIANT problems!” (May 2019 Friend)
- Bright Idea Poster: “I can do hard things!” (August 2019 Liahona and Friend)
- Gospel Art Picture: “Martin Handcart Company—Bitter Creek, Wyoming, 1856”
- Gospel Art Picture: “Saving the Book of Commandments”
- Image: Liberty Jail
- Mormonad Poster: “Adversity Can Make You Strong” (February 1983 Liahona and July 1982 New Era)
- Music: “Come, Come, Ye Saints” (Hymns, no. 30)
- Video: Book of Mormon Stories, “Chapter 5: Traveling in the Wilderness”
- Video: Doctrine and Covenants Stories, “Chapter 34: God Warns the People of Zion (July–August 1833)”
- Video: Doctrine and Covenants Stories, “Chapter 35: The Saints Leave Jackson County” (Missouri, September–December 1833)”
- Video: Doctrine and Covenants Stories, “Chapter 36: Zion’s Camp (February–June 1834)”
- Video: Doctrine and Covenants Stories, “Chapter 37: Joseph Smith in Liberty Jail (November 1838–April 1839)”
- Video: Mormon Messages, “Men’s Hearts Shall Fail Them”
Elder Russell M. Nelson gives encouragement to those who are going through hard times.
- Video: Mormon Messages, “Mountains to Climb”
President Henry B. Eyring teaches that having faith in Christ helps us to have the power to endure and overcome trials
- Video: Mormon Messages for Youth, “God Will Lift Us Up”
Rather than focus on her medical condition, Brittany finds comfort in serving others and trusting in the Lord.
- Video: Old Testament Stories, “Chapter 46: Job”
- Video: “Trial of Adversity”
A woman paralyzed from the waist down doesn’t let adversity stop her.