Messages from Leaders
- “A Day to Play?” (May 2013 Friend)
Elder Larry Y. Wilson talks about keeping the Sabbath day holy.
- “Peace in Obedience” (April 1997 Liahona and April 1994 Friend)
Elder Rex D. Pinegar tells a story of his grandson who gave up a trip in order to keep the Sabbath day holy.
- “Service and the Sabbath” (November 2004 Friend)
Elder William W. Parmley decided not to study on Sundays in college, and he graduated with the highest honors.
- “A Truckload of Saints” (September 2007 Liahona and Friend)
Elder Benjamin De Hoyos shares how his family shared their car with 20 other people to go to church every week. He encourages us to attend our meetings, no matter how we get there.
- “Angelo’s Decision” (February 2008 Friend)
A boy decides not to participate in a karate tournament on Sunday.
- “Ben’s Week” (January 2009 Liahona and Friend)
Ben visits his grandfather for a week and tells his grandfather he would rather not go shopping on Sunday.
- “The Best Part of the Week” (February 2017 Friend)
Jenny decides to go to church every week even when her family doesn’t go.
- “Better than Hopscotch” (May 2016 Friend)
Emma tells her new friends about the Church when she explains that she’ll be going to church instead of playing with them on Sunday.
- “The Blessing Quest” (February 2015 Friend)
Nathan wants to skip church and play outside instead!
- “Cannon’s Commitment” (March 2007 Friend)
A boy makes the decision not to play in a championship baseball game when it is held on Sunday.
- “The Choice” (July 1994 Friend)
Two sisters have to decide whether to go to a friend’s birthday party on a Sunday.
- “A Day to Decide” (November 2010 Friend)
Meghan decides not to go to an amusement park with her friend on Sunday.
- “Doing Good on the Sabbath Day” (September 2007 Liahona and Friend)
A list of ideas to keep the Sabbath day holy.
- “Drive-Through Decision” (May 2012 Friend)
Jacob remembers a lesson on keeping the Sabbath day holy when his mom wants to buy fast food on Sunday.
- “Farm-Club Fiasco” (April 2019 Friend)
Nathan makes an unpopular choice to go home Saturday night so he can be at church on Sunday even though the rest of the club members want to stay one more night.
- “Getting to Church” (August 2019 Liahona and Friend)
Juhyuk travels to church by himself on the bus and is grateful that he can go to church.
- For Parents of Little Ones: “Getting Ready for the Sabbath” (January 2018 Friend)
Some ideas for getting ready for the Sabbath with young children.
- “Honors” (September 2011 Friend)
Ethan tells his coach he cannot pitch for the honors baseball team because they have games on Sunday.
- “How do I know if something is appropriate to do on Sunday?” (August 2015 Friend)
Children answer the question.
- “For Little Friends: Doing Good on the Sabbath Day”(September 2007 Liahona and Friend)
A list of things children can do on the Sabbath day.
- “A Letter to Grandma” (October 2005 Friend)
Aaron decides that writing his grandmother is a good activity for the Sabbath.
- “Marco’s Decision” (March 1992 Liahona and May 1991 Friend)
A boy tells his coach he won’t play in the championship soccer game because it is on a Sunday.
- “Matt and Mandy” (March 2017 Friend)
Matt’s friend asks him why he goes to church so much.
- “Matt & Mandy” (August 2015 Friend)
Mandy is asked to go to an amusement park on a Sunday for a birthday party.
- “Primary with the Prophet” (November 2017 Friend)
Sam and Martha are too sick to go to church. How will they have Primary?
- “Rowdy to Reverent” (July 2015 Friend)
Larry learns he can set a good example for his friend at church.
- “Thank You!” (August 2016 Friend)
Think of who you could say “thank you” to this week.
- “Sharing the Sabbath Day” (June 2019 Friend)
Tomás invites his friend to join his family for some Sunday activities.
- “Sabbath-Day Activities” (August 2017 Friend)
Find five similar things in these four pictures of people doing good things on the Sabbath day.
- “Sammy’s Sabbath Dilemma” (April 2006 Friend)
A boy suggests a more appropriate Sabbath activity when his cousin’s suggestions don’t sound like good things to do on Sunday.
- “Saturday Sleep and Sunday Smiles” (March 2015 Friend)
Mara learns that when she goes to bed earlier Saturday night, it’s easier to have a better attitude at Church on Sunday.
- “Sunday Stories” (December 2016 Friend)
Three children share ways they have kept the Sabbath day holy.
- “Tara’s Sabbath Day” (April 2018 Friend)
A story for young children about Tara and the things she does to make her Sunday a happy day. Includes an activity.
- “Trying to Be Like Jesus” (September 2011 Friend)
Features four young girls who chose to miss their Sunday ballet recital. Instead, they invited family and friends to the dress rehearsal on Saturday.
- “What I Learned from Alex” (October 2016 Friend)
Jack shares how a friend was a good example for him to keep the Sabbath day holy.
- “A Winning Decision” (October 2015 Friend and Liahona)
Miranda decides to go to church instead of playing soccer on Sunday.
- “Bulletin Board: Sabbath-day Activities” (April 2012 Friend)
Includes a list of things that children can do on the Sabbath.
- Family Home Evening: Keeping the Sabbath Day Holy
The Sabbath is a day to rest from doing worldly things and instead do heavenly things. Read or tell the story in Matthew 12:10-13. What kinds of things did Jesus Christ do on the Sabbath? Then read “Doing Good on the Sabbath Day” (September 2007 Liahona and Friend). Plan at least two activities that you can do next Sunday.
- “Family Memory Bingo” (March 2016 Friend)
Watch family videos and look through picture albums to find things that match with the descriptions on the bingo card.
- “Flannel Board Sunday Box” (June 2006 Friend)
Create a Sunday box to fill with fun activities.
- “Getting Ready for Church” (September 2009 Friend)
Circle hidden pictures to help Alexandra get ready for church.
- “Going to Church” (September 2009 Liahona and Friend)
Find the way to a friend’s house and then the church in this maze.
- “Keep a Record” (September 2016 Friend)
Writing in a journal is a great thing to do on Sundays. Here are some ideas of things to write about
- “Lily’s Sunday Morning” (November 2011 Friend)
Help Lily find her favorite socks and other hidden items to pack her church bag.
- “More than Just Quietly Sitting” (October 2016 Friend)
A matching game with pictures of children and how they made changes to be more reverent.
- “Pencil Spin” (July 2006 Liahona and Friend)
A fun game to play on Sundays.
- “Ready, Set, Share-ades” (November 2016 Friend)
An activity you can do with your family to share what you learned at church.
- “Remember the Sabbath Day” (November 2004 Friend)
Includes cutout figures to tell the story of the children of Israel receiving manna from heaven.
- “Remembering Jesus Christ during the Sacrament”(June 2007 Liahona and Friend)
Make this craft to know what to think about during the sacrament.
- “The Sabbath is a Delight” (October 2015 Friend)
Make a mobile to remind you to keep the Sabbath Day holy.
- “Saturday Is a Special Day” (March 2012 Friend)
Help a family find things they need for church that they should have gotten ready on Saturday.
- “Sending Sunday Letters” (June 2019 Friend)
Tomás draws pictures for his grandma on Sundays. Today Alex is going to help him. Can you help them find the things they need?
- “Sunday Activities” (July 2007 Friend)
Unscramble words that describe the kinds of things that should be done on the Sabbath.
- “Sunday Box” (July 2015 Friend)
Make a Sunday box full of good things to do on Sunday.
- “Sunday Box: Pencil Spin” (July 2006 Liahona and Friend)
An game that can be played on the Sabbath.
- “Sunday Can” (November 2006 Friend)
- “What is This?” (April 2010 Friend)
Identify things you can find in a church building.