Messages from Leaders
- “Courage to Live the Gospel” (March 2009 Liahonaand Friend)
Elder Erich W. Kopischke of the Seventy teaches that if we obey the commandments, Heavenly Father will help us know what to do and say.
- “Don’t Play with Fire!” (September 2017 Liahona and Friend)
Jean B. Bingham, Relief Society General President, shares a story of when she got burned playing with fire and teaches why we should listen to warnings from our parents and the Holy Ghost. Includes a word search about the Ten Commandments.
- “Fire!” (August 2015 Friend)
President Tomas S. Monson (1927-2018) tells a story from his youth when he learned the importance of obedience. Includes a maze activity.
- “Follow the Signs” (May 2006 Friend)
President Thomas S. Monson (1927-2018) gives us six rules to live by: choose good friends, seek parental guidance, study the gospel, obey the commandments, serve with love, and pray with purpose.
- “How can the gospel help me be happy?” (March 2011 Liahona and Friend)
Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles teaches that obedience to the principles of the gospel makes us happy.
- “How can I stay safe and happy in life?” (September 2015 Friend)
Thoughts by and a story from the life of Elder M. Russell Ballard.
- “Jumping Fences” (June 2005 Liahona and Friend)
Elder Daryl H. Garn of the Seventy shares the story of an unruly horse who could not learn to be obedient.
- “Keep the Commandments” (December 2004 Liahonaand Friend)
Elder Robert D. Hales of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles teaches that Abinadi was a powerful example of obeying the Lord.
- “Lessons from Dandy” (August 2005 Liahona and Friend)
President David O. McKay’s (1873–1970) disobedient horse taught him the blessings of obeying.
- “Now Is the Time to Obey” (August 2008 Friend)
Elder David F. Evans of the Seventy teaches that we should obey when asked to do things.
- “Obedience Helps Us Be Happy” (February 2017 Friend)
Elder L. Whitney Clayton of the Presidency of the Seventy shares how he was obedient as a child and how he has seen the blessings of obedience. Includes a coded message and letter puzzle activities.
- “Special Witness: How can I help my family have a Christ-centered home?” (May 2014 Liahona and Friend)
Elder Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve shares thoughts on the subject.
- “Walk the High Road” (January 2006 Liahona and Friend)
President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910–2008) teaches us to build happy futures through prayer, faith, and keeping the commandments.
- “Why is Being Obedient So Important” (April 2015 Liahona and Friend)
Learn about Elder Russell M. Nelson and why he believes it’s important to be Obedient.
- “Andy’s Choice” (May 2008 Friend)
A young boy chooses to follow his family’s rules even when his parents aren’t around.
- “Back on the Trail” (February 2018 Friend)
Danilo gets stuck in the mud when he doesn’t listen to his aunt.
- “Ben Obeys” (October 2006 Friend)
Ben is protected when a car hits him on his bike because he followed his family’s rule about helmets.
- “The Blessing Quest” (February 2015 Friend)
Nathan wants to skip church and play outside instead!
- “Born of Goodly Parents” (January 2008 Liahona and Friend)
Joseph Smith’s mother taught obedience by example.
- “A Busy Day for Hands” (January 2014 Friend)
How can you be obedient with your hands?
- “Cartoon Choice” (March 2015 Friend)
A boy decides to draw instead of watching an inappropriate show with his classmates.
- “Chihuahuas and Choices” (May 2014 Friend)
Was obeying her mom worth losing her best friend?
- “Choosing Not to Cheat” (January 2014 Friend)
My teacher asked to talk to me. Did I do something wrong?
- “David’s Lesson” (May 2003 Friend)
A young boy learns that following the rules is for his own good.
- “Double Happy” (February 2017 Friend)
Lilly has been helping her brother in Primary, but then her mom asks her to stop and let his teacher help him.
- For Parents of Little Ones: “Understanding Obedience” (August 2018 Friend)
Tips for helping young children understand about safety and why it’s important to obey.
- “The Hill” (December 2016 Friend)
Darla follows her family’s rule not to sled down a big hill even when her friends want her to.
- “How do I know if something is appropriate to do on Sunday?” (August 2015 Friend)
Children answer the question.
- “If I Choose to Obey I’ll be Happy all Day!” (April 2004 Liahona and Friend)
Brandon learns that being obedient makes him happy. Includes instructions for creating a Beatitude Book.
- “Following Family Rules” (February 2013 Friend)
Suggestions for establishing family media rules.
- “Just Like Grandpa” (September 2018 Friend)
William is sad he has to leave his friends in his ward because of his dad’s new calling in a sign-language branch. His mother tells him a story about his ancestor who was asked by Church leaders to move to a small town.
- “Lost in a Blizzard” (January 2004 Friend)
Danny learns the importance of obedience when he disobeys his father and gets lost in a blizzard.
- “Lost on the Trail” (May 2012 Friend)
Karl thinks he knows better than his parents and Scouting leaders, but he learns an important lesson in obedience when he gets lost at night.
- “Micah Obeys” (August 2016 Friend)
Micah learns that when he does what his parents ask, he is happier.
- “Obstacle-Course Challenge” (February 2014 Friend)
DJ was blindfolded—but not alone.
- “Racing Rules” (August 2018 Friend)
Lelah follows her family rule and stays on the driveway while riding her bike. For young children. Includes a simple activity about making good choices.
- “The Ratings Rule” (February 2013 Liahona and Friend)
Ethan decides not to play a game with a rating that his family has a rule about not playing.
- “Safe Ground” (May 2017 Friend)
A family learns about the importance of staying on safe ground while visiting Yellowstone National Park and compares it to following the commandments.
- “Ski Decision” (December 2013 Friend)
Ethan learns to trust his ski instructor when he tells him where to go and realizes that the same is true when Heavenly Father tells us what to do.
- “Stay, Annie” (August 2008 Friend)
Jacob learns about the importance of obeying when the family dog won’t stay in their yard.
- “Toys in the Tub” (March 2017 Friend)
Eli learns that choices have consequences when his mom tells him not to put his new toy in the water.
- “TV Trouble” (March 2015 Friend)
Two girls leave a friend’s house when she starts watching an inappropriate TV show.
- “Watch Out for the Thorn Patch!” (October 2018 Friend)
Daniel and Tyler learn the importance of listening to parents while playing soccer near a thorn patch. Comic-style story.
- “The Well Boxes” (September 2004 Liahona and Friend)
Jens chooses to obey his mother when invited to play near dangerous docks.
- “Choose the Right Way” (September 2010 Liahona and Friend)
A maze about obedience and making good choices.
- “I Can Obey” (February 2017 Friend)
Use the chart to decode the message and see what Joseph Smith said about obedience. Also includes a letter puzzle.
- “I Obey Jesus Christ Because I Love Him” (September 2010 Liahona and Friend)
Includes several ideas for things children can do to help them learn about showing their love through obedience.
- “I Will Go and Do” (January 2004 Friend)
Match these Book of Mormon heroes with their stories.
- “I Will Make and Keep My Baptismal Covenant” (May 2009 Friend)
Find your way through this maze to learn about things that do and don’t lead to eternal life.
- “Repentance and the Atonement” (March 2004 Liahona and Friend)
Create a booklet showing ways Jesus showed obedience to remind you to follow His example.
- “Showing the Way” (August 2015 Friend)
Maze activity about the guidelines for returning to Heavenly Father. Includes a message from President Thomas S. Monson (1927-2018).
- “The Wise Man and the Foolish Man” (March 2015 Friend and Liahona)
A lesson and activity about the story of the wise man and the foolish man.
- Music: “Baptism” (Children’s Songbook, 100)
- Music: “Choose the Right Way” (Children’s Songbook, 160)
- Music: “Do As I’m Doing” (Children’s Songbook, 276)
- Music: “Keep the Commandments” (Children’s Songbook, 146)
- Music: “I Have Two Little Hands” (Children’s Songbook,272)
- Music: “I Thank Thee, Dear Father” (Children’s Songbook, 7)
- Music: “I Want to Live the Gospel” (Children’s Songbook, 148)
- Music: “I Will Always Obey” (March 1996 Friend)
- Music: “I Will Follow God’s Plan” (Children’s Songbook, 164)
- Music: “Nephi’s Courage” (Children’s Songbook, 120)
- Music: “Quickly I’ll Obey” (Children’s Songbook, 197)
- Music: “Stand for the Right” (Children’s Songbook, 159)
- Music: “The Lord Gave Me a Temple” (Children’s Songbook, 153)