Messages from Leaders
- What’s On Your Mind Question: “Sometimes I’m afraid to try new things. What if I fail?” (February 2020 Liahona and Friend)
- “Choose the Light” (March 2012 Liahona and Friend)
Elder Gerrit W. Gong talks about being afraid of the dark as a child and how we can be filled with light.
- “How can I have faith when the world seems so scary?” (January 2007 Liahona and Friend)
Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin shares some ideas for having faith in a scary world.
- “How can I keep from being afraid when scary things happen in the world?” (September 2012 Friend)
Elder Russell M. Nelson teaches how we can have peace instead of being afraid.
- “How can I not worry so much?” (March 2016 Liahona and Friend)
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland shares how we can have faith and hope in the future.
- “How can I stay safe and happy in life?” (September 2015 Friend)
Elder M. Russell Ballard teaches how staying close to the gospel can help us navigate life’s rapids.
- “How can I stay safe from bad things in the world?”(April 2011 Liahona and Friend)
Elder Richard G. Scott teaches that following Heavenly Father’s plan will help us be happy.
- “Keep Pedaling” (June 2016 Friend)
Sister Bonnie L. Oscarson compares learning how to ride a bike with always moving forward in life, even in hard times.
- “Safety from the Storm” (September 2018 Liahona and Friend)
Elder Joaquin E. Costa shares his love for the story of Noah and how it reminds him that we can find safety in the storms of life. Includes a dot-to-dot coloring activity.
“Comforted by the Scriptures” (April 2020 Friend)Harrison V., age 11, shares how he once found comfort and answers in the scriptures after he had a nightmare.
- “Quiet Is OK” (August 2020 Friend)
Evie is concerned at volleyball camp because she isn’t loud like the other girls, but she learns that being quiet is OK too.
- “Packing for Grandma’s House” (February 2020 Friend)
A young girl can’t fit everything she wants in her bag when she goes to grandma’s, so she picks something that will bring her comfort: a picture of Jesus.
- “Reverence Is Love” (December 2018 Liahona and Friend)
Luaipou W., age 10, from Victoria, Australia shares how she felt Heavenly Father’s love when she was nervous about speaking at a school assembly.
- “Allie’s New Class” (July 2018 Friend)
Allie is nervous when she gets moved to a new kindergarten class, but she prays for help and has a great day.
- “The Bear Cave” (September 2017 Friend)
Ben prays after he gets scared in his new bedroom in the basement. The Holy Ghost prompts his mom to come check on him.
- “The Aquanaut Badge” (January 2017 Friend)
Corwin shares how faith, prayer, and practice helped him when he was afraid to get a swimming activity badge.
- “Backstage Prayers” (September 2018 Liahona and Friend)
Emily shares how she prays backstage when she gets nervous before dance performances.
- “A Baptismal Blessing” (June 2013 Liahona and Friend)
Trevor is afraid of going underwater as he prepares to be baptized.
- “Brave Enough?” (October 2016 Friend)
Christine is afraid at night, but she learns that being brave sometimes means asking for help.
- “Dealing with Fears” (March 2017 Friend)
Some tips for helping young children deal with fears.
- “Ella’s Worries” (May 2017 Friend)
Ella is worried about a lot of things and feels like Heavenly Father is not answering her prayers, but then she talks to her dad who gets her the help she needs.
- “Fear in the Night” (May 2000 Friend)
Garrett is afraid after hearing all the bad things on the news. He asks his dad for a blessing to help him feel better.
- “Finding the Way Back” (October 2011 Friend)
Timmy is scared after he gets left on the playground alone at school.
- “Jesus at My Bedside” (December 2014 Friend)
A boy finds comfort and peace from the Savior after being afraid in bed.
- “Jesus Calms the Tempest” (September 2013 Liahona and Friend)
A retelling for young children about Jesus calming a terrible storm. Includes a coloring page.
- “Juliana Gives a Talk” (February 2015 Friend)
Juliana is scared to give a talk in Primary, but she prays for Heavenly Father to help her.
- “Just a Prayer Away” (October 2019 Liahona and Friend)
Prodi can’t fall back to sleep after having a bad dream, so he says a prayer for comfort.
- “The Lemonade Stand That Changed Everything”(August 2018 Friend)
A girl is scared after learning about a terrorist attack but serving helps her to feel better.
- “The Light of the World” (December 2012 Liahona and Friend)
Erin is scared after a classmate dies in a car accident, but a Nativity program reminds her that we can all live again because of Jesus Christ.
- “Matt and Mandy” (November 2012 Friend)
Matt, Mandy, and their mom are scared when their car gets caught in heavy fog.
- “Monsters in the Closet” (October 2013 Friend)
Abby prays to not be afraid of her family’s coat closet, which she thinks is full of monsters.
- “Moresby the Brave” (September 2017 Friend)
A little boy is nervous about his first day of school, but he is brave and makes a new friend.
- “Night Fright” (May 2012 Friend)
A boy prays to feel peace when he wakes up in the night and is afraid of noises outside his window.
- “The Opposite of Fear” (January 2007 Liahona and Friend)
Tricia prays after she is afraid in the night.
- “A Plan for Our Family” (January 2013 Liahona and Friend)
A boy is worried when his sister is born premature, but he learns to appreciate the power of priesthood and the plan of salvation.
- “A Prayer in the Attic” (February 2015 Friend)
Renate is afraid soldiers will find her family, but they are miraculously undiscovered.
- “The Primary Talk” (November 2019 Friend)
Dennis is scared to give a talk in Primary because he stutters. His father gives him a blessing that he’ll be able to say what he needs to say.
- “Queen Esther Saves Jehovah’s People” (August 2010 Liahona and Friend)
The story of Queen Esther saving the Jewish people from destruction.
- “Shadows on the Wall” (June 2010 Liahona and Friend)
A girl finds comfort in Christ when she is scared during the night.
- “The Spirit of Eliza” (May 2018 Friend)
Eliza loved family history. But could she talk about it in front of everyone at church?
- “Tornado!” (September 2014 Friend)
Owen comes up with an idea to help his family feel less scared while tornados are near their house.
- “Ty’s Courage” (February 2014 Friend)
A boy is afraid when he has to have surgery but finds courage through prayer and the Holy Ghost.
- What’s on Your Mind Question: “I feel scared when I hear about bad or scary things happening. What can I do to feel better?” (August 2018 Friend)
- “Who Will Come to My Party?” (March 2019 Friend)
Enzo is worried about who will come to his birthday party after his family moves to another place.
- “Worried or Afraid? Here’s Help!” (May 2017 Friend)
Some tips for overcoming fears and worries from your friends at the Friend!
“Six Ways to Feel Better” (February 2020 Liahona and Friend)When you’re upset, color the face that matches how you feel. Then color the ideas for feeling better and try one of the ideas.
- Family Home Evening Idea: Overcoming Fears
Read “The Opposite of Fear” (January 2007 Liahona andFriend). What kinds of fears do you have? No matter what they are, you can find comfort in the Savior. Read Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin’s “How can I have faith when the world seems so scary?” to find some inspiring thoughts on overcoming fear (January 2007 Liahona and Friend). As a family, memorize the last three sentences by chanting them together. Repeat these words to yourself whenever you feel afraid.
- Family Home Evening Idea: Receiving Comfort
Talk as a family about how to receive comfort during scary times. Read “How can I keep from being afraid when scary things happen in the world?” (September 2012 Friend) and discuss the ways Elder Russell M. Nelson advises to replace fear with peace.
- What’s on Your Mind Question: “I get stressed a lot! Sometimes I can’t fall asleep at night. What can I do to not feel so stressed out?” (January 2019 Friend)
Includes a stress meter to cut out and some ideas for reducing your stress level.
- “David and Goliath” (July 2010 Liahona and Friend)
- “Jesus Calms the Tempest” (September 2013 Liahona and Friend)
- Coloring Page: “Jesus Can Help Me Do Hard Things” (October 2019 Liahona and Friend)
- Bright Idea Poster: “Be of good cheer, and do not fear, for I the Lord am with you, and will stand by you.” (October 2012 Friend)
- Bright Idea Poster: “I can conquer GIANT problems!” (May 2019 Friend)
- Bright Idea Poster: “Peace, be still.” (December 2011 Friend)
- “A Mother’s Hope”
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf shares how his mother overcame her fear with faith.