Relief Society sisters who would like help in setting worthy personal goals may consider using Pursuit of Excellence as a guide.
Setting goals and working toward those goals can strengthen your faith in the Lord Jesus Christ by helping you develop patterns and qualities of discipleship in your life. Pursuit of Excellence can help you to follow the Savior's example of "a more excellent way" (1 Corinthians 12:31).
Begin by asking the Lord to help you determine what you will work on. Decide how you will evaluate and record your progress. Discover how the Spirit affirms your progress. You will find that your greatest reward will be an increase of the Spirit in your life. Your faith will grow, and your testimony will be strengthened.
The goals listed below are intended to help support and strengthen you in your responsibilities as a son or daughter of Heavenly Father and to help you establish righteous habits and patterns for a lifetime.
You could choose from the following suggested goals, or you may find that the ideas below inspire other worthy personal goals.
"When performance is measured, performance improves. When performance is measured and reported, the rate of improvement accelerates" (see Thomas S. Monson, in Conference Report, Oct. 1970, 107).
Goals That Build Spiritual Strength
- Learn what it means to seek, receive, and act on personal revelation.
- Establish a habit of daily personal prayer.
- Develop the habit of studying the scriptures every day.
- Read the Book of Mormon.
- Qualify for a temple recommend.
- Attend the temple regularly.
- Study the words of the prophets in Church magazines or on ChurchofJesusChrist.org.
- Learn to repent daily.
- Freely forgive others.
- Pay an honest tithe, and attend tithing settlement.
- Share your testimony more often.
- Attend and participate in all Sunday meetings.
- Fast with a specific purpose, and give a generous fast offering.
- Receive your patriarchal blessing, and study it often.
- Accept opportunities to speak or teach.
- Record memorable spiritual experiences or events in a journal.
- Participate in institute.
- Register for newfamilysearch.org, and participate in family history work.
- Register and index historical records.
Goals That Increase Knowledge
- Pray to know what gifts the Lord has given you, and use one of those gifts to bless others.
- Study the words of prophets and Church leaders about strengthening families, marriages, and homes.
- Read a book that will increase your faith and strengthen you spiritually.
- Learn about and develop a new skill or interest.
- Improve your ability to communicate with others.
- Improve skills for an occupation.
- Improve your employment opportunities.
- Complete a degree or certificate program.
- Learn another language.
- Learn to budget wisely and manage personal finances.
- Develop a plan of preparedness for emergencies.
- Acquire greater proficiency in an occupational or homemaking skill (such as organizing, using a computer, sewing, mechanical work, cooking, or cleaning).
Goals That Increase Personal Well-Being and Health
- Study Doctrine and Covenants 89 (the Word of Wisdom), and apply its principles to improve your health.
- Develop healthy eating habits and patterns.
- Learn to cook healthy foods.
- Develop a program of regular exercise.
- Work toward healthy sleep patterns.
- Improve emotional and mental health.
- Improve your personal appearance or hygiene.
- Create opportunities to be active with family and friends.
- Participate in young single adult activities.
Goals That Increase Your Ability to Serve Others
- Pray for inspiration about who needs your help each day, and act on your inspiration.
- Faithfully serve as a home teacher or visiting teacher.
- Faithfully fulfill responsibilities in elders quorum or Relief Society.
- Give service to your family to strengthen your relationship with them.
- Accept a Church calling or service opportunity.
- Welcome or befriend a new member of the Church.
- Volunteer for or lead a service project in your community.
- Help someone return to Church activity.
- Find ways to be a friend and serve someone who is elderly.
- Find opportunities to share the gospel.
- Write encouraging letters to a missionary.
- Assist someone who needs help with their education.
- Contribute to Church funds. (For example: missionary, humanitarian, Perpetual Education, and general temple patron assistance.)
Goals That Increase Moral Strength
- Keep a firm personal commitment to be sexually pure, and encourage others to do so.
- Use and view only media and entertainment that are uplifting and invite the Spirit.
- Obey laws that govern sharing movies, music, and other copyrighted material.
- Overcome a bad habit or addiction.
- Improve your ability to manage time wisely.
- Develop patterns of speech, and use language and words that invite the Spirit to be with you.
- Learn to be grateful, and express your appreciation.
- Choose friends and companions who are earnestly seeking to maintain high ideals and standards.
- Cultivate patience and tolerance for others.
- Learn to enjoy hard work.
- Develop the attribute of honesty.
- Learn to keep confidences.
- Avoid comparing yourself to others, and learn to recognize when you are doing your best.
- Beware of pride, and seek to be humble and teachable.