Frequently Asked Questions for U.S. and Canadian Residents

For specific questions, please send an email to

My signature does not match the name printed on my passport. Is that a problem?

If you did not sign your full name on the passport, all your documents must be signed the way you signed your passport. You must wait to fill out the online application until after you receive your passport.

Should missionaries wait to start their documents until after they receive their passport?

No. Missionaries should get started on their visa documents right away. There are multiple steps in obtaining a visa, and missionaries may be delayed if they wait. 

How many birth certificates will I need?

You will need to send us one certified birth certificate.

Where can missionaries obtain their seminary transcripts?

If you did not get your seminary certificate or transcript, please contact us first and we will send you those documents. You can also contact your local seminary or your stake Seminary & Institute representative and they can help you get your transcripts.

What about a seminary certificate?

If you have graduated, you can use the seminary diploma in place of the certificate. Please see your state’s requirements for the notary. You may need to make a copy and attach notarial wording that signifies that it is a copy. You may also ask your seminary teacher/principal for another copy of the certificate or diploma.

How do I obtain an Apostille (authentication)?

In a search engine, type in your state and authentications; e.g. “Utah authentication.” Make sure you click on a .gov site.

Can missionaries apply for their own visa and bypass the Missionary Travel Office process?

No. There are multiple steps and additional documentation required for the issuance of the visa that will be handled by the Missionary Travel Office. 

Any attempt by missionaries or their parents to apply for their own visa or to contact the Consulate directly will jeopardize Missionary Travel's relationship with the Consulate and could cause delays for all missionaries.

The electronic application asks for a permanent address. If missionaries are away from home (ex: attending school out of state), what address should they list?

Missionaries must use their home address. 

Can missionaries use their passport for an international trip before they go on their mission?

Your passport is required for the issuance of the visa, so it is best for missionaries to plan on NOT having their passport. If missionaries already have an international trip scheduled, they should call Missionary Travel at 1-800-537-3537.

Back Return to South America page.